Saturday, December 21, 2013

Some Dreams Come True... Don't They?

I almost never remember my dreams but I had a dream so vivid last night that I woke up elated, relaxed and happy. For the briefest of moments. Then I realized it was Saturday and the insanity of Christmas 2013 had yet to peak (I’m thinking 2:30pm on Monday). I say that after the blood pressure pushing anxiety of flying my daughter back home in between two major snowstorms, driving down to Logan at night in single digit temps and driving white-out snow. That was bad but we’re talking Christmas, here. It will surely get worse before it gets better. But I digress. Back to my dream…


In my dream, the Patriots are playing the 49ers. It’s a back and forth game with big plays by both teams. With seven seconds left to play, the 49ers have the lead at 31-30 and the ball on their 1-yard line. The Patriots have taken their last timeout. San Francisco will be forced to run one more play but that one play will effectively win the game as New England will not be able to stop the clock. The ball is snapped and the Patriots defense sells out. The surge drives the Niners offensive line back into the end zone; Kaepernick trips over one of his linemen as he tries to hand off to Frank Gore. Gore recovers the fumble but he is quickly covered by Patriots defenders. Safety! Patriots win 32-31! In a season of improbably finishes, it seems almost poetic.

That’s when I woke up. My dream had been so vivid it felt more like a memory than the anxiety-addled midnight musings of a somnambulant mind. My first thought was the Patriots had beaten the Ravens and the 2nd seed in the AFC playoffs was practically locked up. My happiness soon turned to confusion as I realized that it was Saturday, not Monday and none of it was real. I had been dreaming and the Patriots had beaten the 49ers, not the Ravens.

Of course, there’s only one way my dream can come true and that’s if…

No. I can’t say it out loud.

I will say this. If my dream does come true, I promise I will use my prescient powers only for good. Right after I win PowerBall, of course.



No comments:

Post a Comment