Monday, October 3, 2022

Pigskin Inflection Point

I get that there aren't any "moral victories." First of all, I have no idea what morality has to do with professional sports in general or the NFL specifically. Also, by definition, "moral victory" means you lost in the only way that counts. In the standings.


Hey, we all had to move back into our parent's basement at some point in our lives, didn't we? And we turned out okay, didn't we?


I mean, most of us, am I right? Anyone? Hello!


First, let me say to all those people who predicted the Patriots would finish in last place in the AFC East this year… Well, I've got nothing to say to you because I woke up on this beautiful fall morning in New England with my beloved pigskin heroes in the basement of the AFC East, looking up at (welp) the New York Jets.


Second, let me say this: Enjoy it while you can. 


The New England Patriots ran onto the not at all frozen tundra of Lambeau Field without their starting quarterback to face Aaron Rodgers (Loki to Brady's Thor) and the legit Super Bowl contending Green Bay Packers, lost their backup QB to injury, and took the game all the way to the final seconds of overtime with a rookie QB3. 


(I just knew I should take the points and bet the mortgage. I'm firing my financial adviser.)


I'm not saying the movie ends the same way, but harkening back to 2001, I believe it was a road loss to the defending Super Bowl champion Rams that served as the inflection point in that first, improbable Lombardi Trophy for the Patriots. That was the game that gave that roster the confidence they could hang with anyone. 


Will this OT loss to the Packers provide the same impetus?


As my Football Yoda has been known to say: We'll see how it goes.


Watching New England's gridiron heroes this past Sunday I was also reminded of another trait that first drew me to the Belichick era Patriots: They do not quit. 


Adversity is a fact of life. It can't be avoided. At some point, you're going to have to fold your cards or double down on yourself. Yeah, sometimes you double down and lose, anyway. Didn't some really smart guy say that we learn more from losing than we do when we win? 


Yes, I realize that should make me a genius by now. You don't have to be mean, you know.


All kidding aside (you were kidding about my intellect just then, weren't you?), I think Bill Belichick learned a lot about this team on Sunday. And (say it with me) there's still a lot of football left to play.


I'm also reminded of a story I believe Jerry Kramer of Vince Lombardi's Packers told, but which also strikes me as apocryphal "coach speak." Whatever the case, and however sharp my memory remains, Kramer said those Packers never believed they were beaten, they just ran out of time.


Literally what happened to New England on Sunday.  


One or two more plays. That's the difference in so many NFL games. The Patriots still need to make those plays, of course, and the reality is that they are 1-3-0, in last place in the AFC East, and for all we know today, rookie 4th round pick Bailey Zappe may make his first NFL start next Sunday in what is clearly a "must win" game for New England. 


I suppose the next seven games could all be considered "must win" games for the Pats.


Just jimmies on the adversity sundae. 


Can't hardly wait till next Sunday to see what this team does.


Go Pats!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment