Friday, December 29, 2017

Untrue To Form

Jets games never seem to go true to form. Let's just say that while I would never wish injury on anyone, I'm glad Josh McCown won't be playing this Sunday. I know. Josh McCown? Trust me on this one. With the man who literally defines the term "journeyman" under center, an ugly, grind it out, weather definitely a factor 20-17 Patriots' loss at home to the Jets would be a very real possibility.

Which begs the question: How did Don Belichick arrange to have McCown's hand broken in a game where the Patriots weren't even playing?


Like most good citizens of Patriots Nation, I'm more concerned with injury than the final score this Sunday. So, fingers crossed.

How will the contract extensions for Jets' GM Mike Maccagnan and HC Todd Bowles affect the game? For one thing, I guess the Patriots won't have to worry about an heroic measures effort on the part of the Jets' players to save Bowles' job. Or the GM that drafted them.

What's the over/under on trick plays, fake punts, just flat out going for it on 4th down for the Jets in this game? Whatever it is, I'd bet the over. The Jets have absolutely nothing to lose in this one other than marginal draft position.

I'm also looking forward to this weekend in hopes that New England's little bro, the Buffalo Bills, can end the curse and make it into the playoffs for the first time since 1999. I'd love to be able to send a congratulatory note to my brother-in-law Scott, who has had plenty of opportunities to embrace another team, thanks to his job-related travels, but has never wavered in his devotion to the Bills or forgotten his western New York roots.

Yes, that would mean the Ravens are not in the playoffs and as you may have heard, (say it with me now) the Ravens are not afraid of playing the Patriots in Foxborough.

It would also mean the Ravens lost to the Bengals this Sunday.

Let's just say there are limits to what I think is possible even in the Any Given Sunday 'verse. And the Bengals playing to save Marvin Lewis' job? I mean, if you're a Bengals' player (or fan) aren't you hoping for a change after back-to-back losing seasons? The Bengals have actually won the AFC North four times under Lewis but the only thing Cincinnati has know of the playoffs is losing.

On the other hand, I am a big believer in inertia, tempered only in my lack of belief in the Tennessee Titans. So, I'll root hard for the Bengals and the Bills on Sunday but I'll be expecting the Ravens and the Chargers will be playing in the wild card round.

In the NFC bracket I'm pulling for the Falcons to get the 6th spot though I'm not really sure why. (Okay, it has something to do with SB51.) Okay, scratch that. I really don't care.

This looks like a Super Bowl you don't want to miss if you're coming out of the AFC bracket. The Eagles lost Carson Wentz, the Rams are a year ahead of schedule, the Vikings are the "they're a great story but this isn't a movie" team, and really, is the NFC South that good or is the rest of the NFC just not (and the Patriots did go 3-1-0 against them)?

But we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves, should we?

There's only one game that matters for the Patriots and it will kick off at 1:00pm this Sunday. Let's just hope it goes true to form.

No comments:

Post a Comment