Monday, February 2, 2015

Best. Game. Ever.

So. you can't say they haven't won anything since Spygate now, can you?




Really, you think Deflategate has legs? Good luck with that.

Yeah, suck it haters.

Oh, and before I forget. Tom Brady is the G.O.A.T. You can argue over who the second best is but there's no credible argument to make for anyone else for greatest pro QB of all time. It's Brady. It cannot be denied. That's it. That's the list. 

Not that any of that really matters. "Greatest Of" arguments are tedious. 

I'll just say I've never been happier as a fan of the New England Patriots and Tom Brady. Tom Brady reached way back to post a record setting night, throwing 4 TD to 4 different receivers leading the Pats to a 28-24 win - coming back from a 10-point 4th quarter deficit - over the defending champion Seahawks. Make no mistake, Seattle is deserving of our pigskin respect. They are mighty. Okay, they lost their shit there at the end but I would still argue they proved themselves worthy of the biggest stage the NFL has to offer. Tom Brady's numbers would be gaudy under most circumstances but against the best defense in the league? 

Brady completed 37 (a record) of 50 for 328 yards, 4 TD and 2 INT. I think those turnovers are the price of doing business with the Legion of Boom. Brady brought the Patriots back then had to relive the helmet catch while he stood helpless on the sideline as Jermaine Kearse made an improbable, juggling, on his back catch. In a bit of pigskin irony, it was Malcolm Butler who gave up the 33-yard completion that set up the Seahawks at the five. 

It looked like this was going to end badly for the Patriots when Marshawn Lynch ran it down to the 1-yard line. Then Malcolm Butler changed the narrative, jumping the route and intercepting the Russell Wilson's pass.

As for the play call at the 1-yard line, like everyone else, I expected another hand-off to Marshawn Lynch. Kind of ballsy throwing a pass in that situation. And they were targeting the recently beaten Butler. The Seahawks clearly thought they had the match up advantage and were targeting Butler. 

Then Malcolm Butler made a great play, a "championship play," as Tom Brady called it after the game, a play that had Brady literally jumping for joy on the sideline. Whatever you think of the call, that was an amazing play by Malcolm Butler, an undrafted rookie from West Alabama, playing with the game on the line in the Super Bowl. In a flash he had become a folk hero in New England, the answer to a bar trivia question and the unlikely hero of Super Bowl XLIX. 

Myself and everyone I was with literally began acting like idiots, myself probably (definitely) more than the others. I'm pretty sure I screamed like a little child. More than once. Okay, repeatedly. Yes, hysterically. I careened around the living room a bit. Some loss of vision. Briefly. I think. Much as Butler reported after the game to Michele Tafoya (and as my good friend Steve - or was it Kathy? - observed, her coat made of human skin I have to agree it did look creepy), I don't know what happened. Well, I'm pretty sure incoherent, high-pitched sounds were emanating from my Munch-like mouth.

It's been a long two weeks. I had some things I needed to get out. Anyway...

There was still some football to be played until they could drop the confetti but the Seahawks jumped into a neutral zone violation moving the ball out to the six-yard line giving the Patriots enough room for Tom Brady to take a knee. Then, as noted above, the Seahawks lost their shit, there was some pushing and shoving, some running around and a few actual punches thrown, then it was over.

And you know what?

Tom Brady is only 37 years old.



No comments:

Post a Comment