Sunday, February 8, 2015

At the Risk of Repeating Myself

When does some savvy Hollywood producer sign Rob Gronkowski and Julian Edelman for the “it just writes itself” buddy cop movie?

 
I’m really not sure how to react to the pigskin pundits and bobbleheads loving themselves some Tom Brady after the Super Bowl win. Where were these guys when everyone was calling Tommy a liar?

Or, right. They were those guys.

News flash to the national media: The good citizens of Patriots Nation don’t need you to tell us Tom Brady is the greatest of all time. We’ve known that for a long time. We’ve known Brady vs. Manning was a walkover for seven years. No disrespect to anybody but nobody in New England was building a time machine to go fetch Joe Montana back from 1982, either.

I suspect all these stories about how “everybody cheats” (here’s a link to the most recent post I’ve read – oh, and thanks Bleacher Report for putting a picture of Tom Brady under the headline) isn’t as much about the Patriots and Deflategate as it is a subtle attempt to justify the pigskin pundits and bobbleheads rush to judgment of New England, Bill Belichick and Brady.

Of course we were sure the Pats cheated. Can you blame us? They all do it!

Have we gotten an update from Charles Haley following Jerry Rice’s admission that he cheated?

No?

Okay, it’s not like I was holding my breath.

This isn’t ISIS…
I admit, I’m anxious for the NFL and Ted Wells to complete their investigation of Deflategate. There’s a part of me that I’m not terribly proud of that wants the Colts to be found guilty of deflating the intercepted football (and severely punished for it) but there’s a bigger and better part of me that just wants to put all of this in the rear view. Yes, I expect the Patriots will be exonerated but I don’t expect there will be an apology attached to the Wells report. I will ask the Google Machine what Bill Plaschke, Michael Wilbon, Chris Mortensen and whoever it was that asked Tom Brady to apologize to everyone in that sad, hateful, ridiculous press conference. Not because I expect an apology from them, either, but because karma is sometimes quite hilarious. I’m sure they’ll all remind us that they said “if” in their various screeds and deny throwing any logs on the raging firestorm that burned out of control in the national media in the run up to Super Bowl XLIX.

I’ll also check in on Mark Brunell to see if he’s finally wiped the tears from his eyes.



No comments:

Post a Comment