Wednesday, April 24, 2024

The Pragmatic Pigskins Mock Draft

Yes, the really real NFL draft is almost upon us! 


I'm going to miss you, mock draft! 


In fact, let's do it one more time, just to remember what we had and what we'll never forget…


Let's start with the usual disclaimers:


First, the mock draft below will be nothing like what happens over the next three days of the NFL Draft. The other 31 teams aren't as stupid or as predictable as the algorithm in the mock draft simulators (seriously, have you ever used auto draft and wound up with four grade D- randos nobody's ever heard of because I have been there, done that). 


Second, the Patriots definitely need a QB of the Future, a true WR1, and a starting left tackle. They have plenty of other needs (tends to be the case for 4-win teams) but absolutely, positively need to check those boxes.


Third, the draft is a volume business. If I'm Eliot Wolf and I got the "Godfather Offer," I would not hesitate to say yes.


Finally, I'm not an NFL analyst or scout or personnel man. I'm just a Patriots fan. My choices are largely crowd-sourced (by pigskin pundits and bobbleheads, the various "Big Board" rankings, and to some extent by checking the prospects' "specs" - speed kills). So… Let's go!

The Trades

It wasn't exactly a "Godfather Offer" in trading #3 for #5 and change, but I decided I'd take it and still have a shot at a Top 5 QB. If not I'd go WR1 and hope Michael Penix would be available at #34. As the mock draft went on I found three more opportunities to ultimately get to 19 picks (I was hoping to double up - as noted above, the Patriots need a lot of help).



The Mock Draft

Xavier Worthy wasn't available at #34 so I opted for Tyler Guyton to fill that left tackle spot. Yes, he played right tackle in college. Okay, he was the best available tackle. Adisa Isaac is a high ceiling prospect at a premium position and would look good on a depth chart with Matt Judon, Josh Uche, and Keion White. Devontez Walker might be a WR1 and it couldn't hurt that he'll be catching passes from his college teammate. Yes, that's rationalization, not analysis.


Ben Sinnott is my "Baby Gronk." Cedric Gray is a speedy tackling machine. I seem to like Elijah Jones more than the simulator but he's tall, rangy and fast. Jalyx Hunt has gotten a lot of buzz from pigskin pundits and bobbleheads and even though I'd already drafted an edge defender (Adisa Isaac) I couldn't pass up on Hunt's ceiling and his ability to contribute immediately on special teams. Safety is supposedly a "sneaky need" for the Patriots (every position is a "sneaky need" on a 4-win team) and I like Kitan Oladapo a lot.


Isaac Guerendo is wicked fast. Khristian Boyd has gotten some local buzz, as has Decamerion Richardson. Hard to believe a prospect who has been comped to Deebo Samuel is available at #200. Also hard to believe I've now drafted a third edge defender but here we are.


Trevor Keegan is arguably a depth piece but he's quick and explosive and he's played in cold weather. Bub Means has gotten some mentions locally (though less so more recently). The buzz on Travis Glover on the other hand, has only gotten louder. Another edge? Seriously? I probably should've gone for a kicker! Tylan Grable has shown up in local media as a promising developmental prospect at tackle. 

The Critique

Well, I missed getting Patrick Paul, my personal preference as the solution at left tackle. As buzzy as Travis Glover has been, it's hard to imagine him (anyone, really) making the jump from Georgia State to starting NFL left tackle as a rookie. 


And I drafted way too many edge defenders. 


On the plus side, I was able to add a number of weapons on offense (Devontez Walker, Ben Sinnott, Isaac Guerendo, Ryan Flournoy, and Bub Means). Granted, 8 of the 19 picks were on defense and the defense was actually, pretty good last year but making the defense better couldn't hurt and most - if not all - of those picks should at least be able to help on Special Teams and (checks notes) the Patriots weren't very good in the kicking game last year.


What do you think? Please drop a comment below.


Go Pats! 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment