Saturday, September 10, 2022

Pigskin Prophecies

 Alright, everyone. You can go home now. Apparently, the Buffalo Bills won the Super Bowl last Thursday night. Seems early, but, okay.


I kid.


The Bills certainly looked juggernauty against the defending NFL champ Rams in the season kickoff, and Josh Allen looked a whole lot like Clark Kent without his glasses, but (checking the book of sports cliches) there's still a lot of football to be played.


Some of it will be played tomorrow.


I must admit, though, I'm conflicted. (Okay, that's me pretty much all the time.) On the one hand, I'm wicked excited for another season of Patriots football. Ayuh. On the other hand, I fear a decisive ass-handing to my pigskin heroes at the hands of the Dolphins in Miami between 1:00pm and 4:00pm (ET) on Sunday. 


How can I be looking forward to that?


Luckily, I'm not a psychiatrist and that's just a rhetorical question. Nothing to see here. All of my neighbors will tell you. I'm quiet. I keep to myself. Have I seen the O'Riordan's cat? No, why do you ask?


I kid. (Or do I?)


No really, I'm kidding. (I'm a cat person. And I have no idea what happened to your little dog, Steve!)


Anyway, I'll be watching the game from kickoff to the final gun regardless of the score. That's the way I roll. It worked out okay on a certain Sunday night in February a few years ago. 


Quick Aside: While, "that's the way we roll in the 603" is fine for me and other Granite State Pats Fans who really aren't as cool as we think we are, it doesn't cover all six states that make up New England. So, I'm thinking - with apologies to Chuck Norris - we should refer to New England as The Hexagon. That's the way we roll in The Hexagon. Yes, I know the region doesn't really have six sides. No, I do not expect this to catch on. But it is making me wish Robert Kraft had built Gillette Stadium with six sides. Returning to our regular programming…


If my pigskin heroes pull off the upset, the win will be that much sweeter. You forget how good winning feels when you've rooted for the favorite for twenty years.


It will be salty, too, as we bathe in the tears of our vanquished foe. 


Either way, when it's all said and done on Sunday, there will still be a lot of football to be played.


Go Pats!


No comments:

Post a Comment