Thursday, September 22, 2022

Pigskin Pondering

It's only Week 3 and we're already facing the greatest player who ever lived, leading a team that has been great forever. At least, I think that's what Bill Belichick and the Patriots are saying.


The Patriots rarely give other teams bulletin board material. Instead, they write love letters and send fruit baskets to the other team and its players. Maybe Belichick picked this up back in the day with the Giants when opposing teams would send hookers to Lawrence Taylor's hotel room the night before the game. Thoughtful.


Lamar Jackson is just that good. (I should note here that I'm not recommending the Patriots send prostitutes to Jackson's hotel room before the game. It didn't work with LT and I doubt it would work with Jackson. Also, it would be wrong. That's definitely the reason why they shouldn't do it.) So, not exactly surprising that Belichick is sending valentines to the man. He almost single-handedly (and both-footedly) beat the Dolphins last Sunday.


Almost.


That Mocking Voice In My Head: So, you're saying there's a chance?


If you're saying the Patriots Offense is putting up 35 points this week after looking like they couldn't collectively count to 35 in weeks 1& 2, then, yes; I'm saying there's a chance.


Don't get me wrong. 


I do think the Patriots are figuring it out on offense; I just don't think they've figured everything out yet. Also, Jakobi Meyers is hurt and that is not good. Or maybe it will force other players to step up. This would be a great week for DeVante Parker to break out. Or Hunter Henry. Or Jonnu Smith. (Checks notes.) Or Kendrick Bourne. 


I also think the Patriots defense is good enough to slow down Lamar Jackson. The question is how much and for how long.


You come to this blog for these trenchant pigskin insights, don't you?


My point (and yes, I'm pretending I had one) is that Bill Belichick's Patriots remain one of the most fascinating franchises in all of sports. The Patriots we saw in Week 1 were not the Patriots we saw in Week 2. What will we see this Sunday? How does the defense respond to the most electric offensive player in the NFL since Michael Vick? How much more progress will the offense make - and will it be enough? When does this year's roster really come together? Did the 2021 Pats peak too early, and is Belichik trying to manage that better this year? If Bill Belichick was an Egyptologist, would we know by now just how the pyramids were actually built?


I can only answer one of those questions and the answer to that question is yes. (I still think it was aliens.)


The Armchair Head Coach Week 3 Game Plan


Ground Control to Major Tom - Run the football, control the clock, and keep Lamar Jackson on the sideline and hope he doesn't hydrate properly. 


A Spy In The House of Love - I don't know who the fastest DB on the Patriots is but I'm putting him on the field Sunday to spy on Lamar Jackson. No matter how disciplined the defensive front seven is, Jackson is going to escape the pocket n+1 times (where n is => 0). Belt, meet suspenders.


Everybody Wants to Rule the World - Find some cryptic codicil in the NFL rulebook and use it for a trick formation/play that makes Jim Harbaugh's head blow up like a squeeze toy and makes the veins on his neck look like gummy worms. That might not win the game, but I do like it when that happens. 


I Wish I Was Special - The muffed punt by ex-Pat Gunner Olszewski recovered by Brenden Schooler was a key play in the win over Pittsburgh. Nothing like a big play on special teams to paper over the issues on offense. The Ravens are typically very good on special teams (obligatory mention that Harbaugh was a special teams coordinator before becoming a head coach), however, they do have a rookie punter. Yes, I actually took the time to look that up and then I hurt my shoulder patting myself on the back. A blocked punt/scoop and score for the winning margin would be wicked sweet.


You Dropped A Bomb On Me - I do think the Patriots rushing attack will need to win this game so I'd like to see McCorkle throw not often but deep. Off play action. RPO action. Keep the tight ends in to block action. I don't believe the prevailing narrative from pigskin pundits and bobbleheads that Mac Jones can't make plays "off schedule" is true but he's clearly at his best when given time in the pocket. Do whatever it takes to give Mac that extra 0.75 seconds. 


But who knows if any of that is actually in Bill Belichick's game plan for this Sunday? When you think you know what Darth Hoodie is thinking, that's when you find out you don't. 


It's, well, fascinating


Can't wait.


Go Pats!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment