Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Pigskin Adverse

 This season couldn't have started out any worse for the New England Patriots.


(Checks notes.) Okay, it could be worse. They could've lost in Pittsburgh, too.


And now? It's Hoyer the Destroyer time.


Full Disclosure: I had not penciled in a win for the Pats in Green Bay, even before McCorkle's ankle got folded, spindled, and mutilated. The Packers with Aaron Rodgers are stone killers in the regular season. You can't be tragic unless you first ascend to the #1 seed in the playoffs, can you? (Yes, I'm looking at you, Aaron Rodgers.) At best I'd hoped this would be a competitive game; one of those early season losses from the before times in the Belichick era, that despite the outcome, served as a turning point on the road to a Super Bowl run. We'll always have Cincinnati, I guess.


You'd think seeing the news that Mac will be asking Kevin Durant's doc for a second opinion was good news, but here in New England we come from dour, pessimistic (apocalyptic?) stock; our fields are full of rocks, as are our beaches. So, a little context for me saying that all this tells me is that Jones' injury is bad. Very bad. Like, "Find me the best ankle doctor in the world, stat!" bad. And that's not good. 


My best hope for this Sunday is that something truly crazy happens. 


As it often does in the NFL.


One can hope.


Brian Hoyer has been a serviceable NFL backup QB for 13 seasons and that shouldn't be ignored but spinning the straw of his career stats into gold is beyond my abilities as a fabulist. 


So, is all hope lost?


Realistically, yes, but then, New Englanders still go to those rocky beaches in the summer. Winter, too, to see if the latest Nor'easter has chucked a boulder up onto Route 1. 


I guess there's a fine line between optimism and crazy.


"It Could Happen" Thoughts on This Week's Game


Bill Belichick's Brain 


If there's a coach in the modern NFL who can win a game without passing the football it's Belichick. We know this because he did it just last year. Granted, the weather conditions were a factor in that Buffalo game and a blizzard in Green Bay seems unlikely this time of year. Unless, of course, Belichick has finished work on his Dutch Boy weather machine.


Clock Management


This is pigskin obvious but Aaron Rodgers can't throw TD passes from the sidelines. The Patriots running game needs to break out wicked large on Sunday if New England is to cash in its one in a million chance for the W. 


Yeah, I'm sure the Green Bay coaching staff figured that out, too.


Feeling Defensive


That Belichick guy has been known for his defensive game plans, too, and given his competitive nature, you have to think he'll have something special planned for Rodgers. These are two of the best to ever do what they do. As Week 4 regular season games go, this one has the potential to echo. 


(Okay, okay. A blowout is far more likely. Why you gotta hate on my pigskin poetry?)


I have to think the Patriots defensive players were a little embarrassed by their performance against Lamar Jackson and the Ravens last Sunday and will be looking to bounce back this week. Easy to say. Not easy to do.


Trickeration is a Double-Edged Sword 


Trick plays, fake punts, fumblerooskis, flea flickers, the Big Sleeve, jet sweep reverse option passes, and whatever else you can draw up in the dirt is all Christmas, rainbows, and kittens sleeping in lumberjack's beards when they work. They're a short field for the opponent's offense when they don't.


I would expect Belichick to manage risk in this game; to keep the score close and hope to make a play to win it late.


I would like to see a screen pass or two, though. I miss them.


28-3


Hey, I rooted for the Patriots in the 70s. And the 80s. And the 90s. I ain't going nowhere. I once watched my pigskin heroes fall behind by 25 points and I didn't leave the party. Ride or die, bitches.


Go Pats!


No comments:

Post a Comment