Monday, November 14, 2016

I'm On To San Francisco

Look, I get it. Dallas looked like Godzilla in the Tokyo financial district in the win over Pittsburgh. Then Tom Brady couldn’t overcome the ennui and Gronk couldn’t make a catch playing with a punctured lung and the Patriots had lost their second home game. It was… disconcerting. At the end of the day they simply didn’t play well enough to beat a team as good as the Seattle Seahawks. Maybe it’s a good thing. A Zen slap. An icy cold glass of wait-what? The proverbial wake-up call. Maybe it will be good in the long run...

On to San Francisco!

The Patriots defense needs an identity - a personality. An emotional leader. Maybe that’s Hightower. They need someone. They need swag. They need to let their angry inner child out to play.

Matt Patricia is costing himself millions of dollars. I start to wonder if Patricia might leave New England not because he gets a head coaching gig but instead become a casualty of a failed Super Bowl run that falls short because the defense can’t get the job done.

But I should remember. It’s way too early. Lots of football left. We haven’t even gotten to Thanksgiving. Plenty of time for the defense to develop a personality.

The Patriots should be playing with an edge next week. They should all be wearing their angry eyes. The 49ers certainly aren’t the Seahawks but it’s what the Patriots have in front of them to work out their feelings of anger and embarrassment. And their pent up rage. As for myself, I can’t explain or justify it but after a loss I’m like Hamlet only I’ll be good with my step dad being King if only the Patriots next opponent is stabbed with a poisonous epee and die gasping for breath at my feet.

Metaphorically, of course.

So, yeah, I’m hoping for a 52-0 final in an “it wasn’t as close as the score might indicate” kind of game. I really don’t care if I’m being a douche canoe about this. I want something along the lines of 73-0. I’ll admit to 52-0 but I want 73-0.

That will be hard with Gronk likely out with a punctured lung. I’d be in the hospital but Rob Gronkowski will likely miss just one game. Right. Count me among those wondering if Gronk makes the flight to the west coast and suits up for the game in San Francisco.

Probably not. I got carried away there for a minute. Bennett has been great and no reason to put Gronk’s season at risk by playing him when he’s not just hurt but injured.

So I’ll have to settle for thoughts of 52-0.

I’ll be good with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment