Saturday, January 3, 2015

Rooting Interests

It’s been said you should be careful what you wish for.

Mostly by people who have never gotten what they wished for.

 
You won’t be hearing New England’s players or coaches say anything like, “I really want the Broncos” but there are plenty of us in Patriots Nation who are trying to figure out the most favorable matchups for the Patriots in the playoffs. And the Super Bowl for that matter. We will be chanting Aramaic incantations, asking the butcher at the super market for chicken blood and praying to an indifferent and seemingly arbitrary God in hopes that Tom Brady will hoist the Lombardi Trophy again. I know we should be praying for world peace but any sane person is betting the over on when (or if) that ever happens. Besides, a New England win in Super Bowl XLIX would bring joy to all the little boys and girls in six states. Six!

Do it for the kids, God!

Baltimore at Pittsburgh – Here’s something I don’t remember ever saying before: Go Steelers!

I do not want to see the Ravens in Foxborough on January 10th. On paper, New England shouldn’t have to worry too much about Baltimore but advanced metrics fail to consider one key and salient point. The Ravens hate the Patriots. The Ravens are the failed, loner psychopath who blames their smallest of miseries in their life on the cleft-chinned hero and his awesome hair. Put Liam Neeson on speed-dial and double the security on Giselle and the kids if the Ravens come out of Pittsburgh with the W.

I also like the Steelers to ugly-up the Broncos in the divisional round. I would never wish for any player to be injured but a Steelers-Broncos match up would leave the winner feeling it.

Ben Roethlisberger should rain TD passes on the Ravens secondary and the Steelers should win going away even without Le’Veon Bell.

Did I mention these two division rivals also hate each other? Yeah. That could be a factor.

Cincinnati at Indianapolis – I’m not sure I really care who wins this game as long as Pittsburgh takes down Baltimore. I guess I would care even less if Pittsburgh loses because I don’t give either one of these teams the slenderest thread of hope in Denver.

Okay, I care a little.

The Pats beat the Bengals 43-17 at home Week 5 and the Colts 42-20 on the road Week 11. What happened months ago in the regular season is hardly probative but it’s difficult to imagine how either one of these teams can win in Gillette Stadium. I’ll give a slight edge to the Bengals. With a win in Indy they would pocket their first playoff win in the Andy Dalton era. Combine that with their Week 16 prime-time win over Peyton Manning and the Broncos and I could see the Bengals talking themselves into a win in Foxborough.

Meanwhile, Bill Belichick isn’t just renting space in Andrew Luck’s head; he’s bought a condo with key-card access to the tennis courts and pool.

Give the People What They Want
While I can see the Steelers giving the Broncos a good game, I don’t see Denver losing at home. As for the Patriots, I don’t care what the spread is, I would not take the Colts plus the points in Foxborough.

So, Manning vs. Brady – again – seems inches from inevitable if the scenarios above play out.

Everybody good with that?

I know I am. Terrance Knighton notwithstanding, I do like this Patriots team to beat the Broncos and as was the case with their Week 9 matchup, to do so decisively. 

The Foregone Conclusion
The pigskin pundits and bobbleheads have penciled in the Seattle Seahawks for Super Bowl XLIX and why not? They’ve got home field and they’ve been playing like the defending champs down the stretch.

The Green Bay Packers and Dallas Cowboys have their cases to make. The Packers have Frankie Goes to Hollywood’s favorite quarterback and the ‘Boys have gone into CenturyLink Field and won earlier this season (and okay, Week 6 was a long time ago). Detroit is not going to win in Dallas. Arizona will not fulfill their quest to be the first team to host a Super Bowl, which leaves the one team I absolutely, positively, unequivocally do not want to see the Patriots play in Glendale, the 7-8-1 Carolina Panthers.

Why?

Because they’re on a hot streak right now and should they continue their winning ways through the NFC bracket, they will come to Arizona believing they are a team of destiny. I’ve seen this movie before with the 9-7-0 Giants. I do not want to see that movie ever again.

Ever.



No comments:

Post a Comment