Saturday, April 5, 2014

Everybody Pat Chung Tonight

Patrick Chung’s return has been greeted by equal parts wishful thinking and desultory indifference. The optimistic view is that with Devin McCourty at free safety and the Pats playing Cover 1, Chung will be more effective playing in the box. Chung can pick up some of the slack from Brandon Spikes departure and with Jamie Collins able to cover tight ends, Chung could add to the pass rush with a well-timed blitz. Or Chung is just a camp body who will be lucky to make the final 53.

 
The consensus amongst pigskin cognoscenti is that the Patriots still have work to do. They need to find a Rodney Harrison at safety, depth at linebacker, a pass-rushing defensive end to help Chandler Jones and Rob Ninkovich and a tight end to provide some Gronk insurance. Some might add wide receiver to that list and maybe we shouldn’t count on Vince Wilfork being 100% coming off the Achilles injury. Then there’s the offensive line, back together again for 2014 and maybe that’s not the best thing that could’ve happened.

Safety Net
New England was able to squeeze one more productive year (the best statistical year of his career, in fact) out of Tully Banta-Cain when he returned from a stint with the 49ers so maybe they can do the same with Patrick Chung. Duron Harmon didn’t look like Rodney 2.0 during his rookie season but he played better than the haters expected. I suppose exceeding low expectations may be a less than reliable predictor of success but it’s what we’ve got. Oh, and the second year leap, too.

Unless Calvin Pryor falls to the Patriots at #29, I’d be surprised to see Belichick pick a safety in Round 1 or 2.

Depth Charge
Can Steve Beauharnais fill Dane Fletcher’s cleats? Beauharnais reminds me a little too much of Jake Bequette, another guy who just couldn’t make the game day 46 his rookie year. The draft is (say it with me) the deepest in ten years but from what I’ve read it seems there are the mortal locks for the Top 15 (Kahlil Mack, Anthony Barr) and then there’s everyone else.

If Belichick takes C.J. Mosely with the Pats’ first rounder with Ra’Shede Hageman or Louis Nix III or Kelvin Benjamin or Jace Amaro available I may need to break my two martini rule.

Rush to Judgment
Unlike the aforementioned Jake Bequette, Michael Buchanan did make the game day 46 during his rookie season. By the end of the season, though, Buchanan was playing special teams and the ageless Andre Carter was subbing in at DE. Second year leap? Let’s hope so.

Let’s also hope that if Belichick doesn’t trade down and out of the first round that he takes a player who can help put pressure on the quarterback. It seems a long shot that Dee Ford will be available but I can dream, can’t I?

Baby Gronk
Mark Harrison took a red shirt season last year due to injury but he’s become an intriguing possibility in the move TE position. Jace Amaro has been mocked to the Patriots with regularity and depending on who’s already off the board I wouldn’t necessarily need that third martini but I’d be a lot happier with Troy Niklas or C.J. Fiedorowicz in the second round than Amaro in the first.

Sadly, it’s difficult to count on Rob Gronkowski staying on the field. Finding a credible backup has to be a top priority.

Game Breakers
Aaron Dobson’s foot injury is troubling. I try to remind myself that Julian Edelman dealt with a similar injury but it’s hard to make that second year leap on a bad foot. I like the Brandon LaFell signing but he looks like a guy who’ll be running the short to intermediate routes. Maybe Dobson and Kenbrell Thompkins do make the leap.

Yeah, I’m not feeling too good about that, either.

If it’s me turning in the card to Roger Goodell, “With Pick #29, the New England Patriots select wide receiver from Florida State, Kelvin Benjamin.”

The Wilfork Succession
I don’t think the deal would’ve gotten done unless the Patriots felt pretty good about where Wilfork is with his rehab. With Wilfork, Tommy Kelly and Armond Armstead returning from injury/illness, there’s plenty to worry about here. Sealver Siliga showed some promise in 2013 but Chris Jones and Joe Vellano look like backups; solid backups but backups nonetheless. If everyone is healthy there’s already a lot to work with at DT but truth be told I’d be a lot less worried about this position if Brandon Spikes was still on the roster.

Having said that, I’m not sure Louis Nix III makes a ton of sense with the 29th pick. Ra’Shede Hageman and Stephen Tuitt aren’t nose tackles but I’d be happier hearing either one of their names on May 8th.

Line Reading
Are Ryan Wendell and Dan Connolly as bad as their advanced metrics say they are? It’s hard to argue with the numbers (especially when you have my math skills). The good news is (say it with me again); it’s the deepest draft in ten years.

I’d like to see the Pats improve on the offensive line but not until the 3rd or 4th round.

It Keeps You Running
Did I forget depth at running back? No, I did not. The Pats will find an undrafted free agent or two for that.


Hey, with the title to this post, you know I had to go there…



No comments:

Post a Comment