Sunday, August 25, 2013

Lightly Toasted Schadenfreude for Sunday Brunch

I almost feel sorry for the Jets and their fans. Almost.


The latest episode of How I Met Your Quarterback was so funny it hurt. Literally. First, the new boss’s kid stunk up the joint; GM Mark Idzik’s hand-picked QB of the Future Geno Smith was brutal, with three picks and an Orlovsky (running out of the end zone for a self-inflicted safety). He was clearly not ready for his close up. Then, instead of a plucky performance that reminds everyone there’s more to playing QB in New York than running into a lineman’s butt, embattled incumbent Mark Sanchez, playing behind the guys who can’t beat out the mostly mediocre starters on the Jets offensive line, winds up getting sacked, with his throwing shoulder deconstructed by a guy nobody heard of before.

Head Coach Rex Ryan’s explanation for all of this?

Bad luck.

You see, nobody would be questioning his judgment if Sanchez hadn’t gotten hurt.


That’s football.

Indeed, football players get hurt playing football. It is what it is, as they say. It’s… unfortunate.

I noted that Ryan referred to the fact that the play where Sanchez was hurt was probably his best of the preseason. That, Ryan said, was unfortunate. I thought, well, at least he didn’t misuse ironic in that context. I also thought that unfortunate word seems to come up a lot in references to the Jets.

So, I Googled “Unfortunate + Jets,” returning about 29,000,000 results.

Atop the list? A blogspot site for The Unfortunate Jets Fan (I clearly don’t use enough graphics). This was followed by links to posts on draft bust Aaron Maybin, the departure of Darrelle Revis, Sanchez’s injury, this item involving Kentucky (if it isn’t Florida, it’s usually Kentucky) that would’ve been funny (perhaps) if it was a quote from a Woody Allen movie, more and more posts referencing Sanchez’s injury, an on-line quiz detailing the Jets’ checkered history in the draft (notably passing on Dan Marino and Warren Sapp), various other unfortunate injuries (including second-year DE/OLB Quinton Coples, a player I once thought would’ve looked good in a Patriots uniform) and even more references to Mark Sanchez and his unfortunate shoulder injury. I was four pages in (still no Rich Kotite sightings!) when I started feeling like I was slowing down to take a better look at a car crash and had to stop.

Wow. Just wow.

I mean, I know I’m fortunate to live in New England and root for the Patriots but… wow.

I know that if I lived in New Yorsey I’d root for the Giants and this stuff would still be hilarious but still… wow.

If I was a conspiracy theorist – and I would expect there to be some mention of this in the next few days – I would note that despite the opposite of awesome performance by Geno Smith, Sanchez’s injury practically ensures Smith will be the J-E-T-S opening day starter. Coincidence? If you’re the kind of person who believes in these kind of things, you can probably hear Idzik calling down to Ryan on the sideline, telling him to send Sanchez in, to play behind an offensive line incapable of protecting him because the only way they could justify starting Smith would be if Sanchez was hurt.

It’s tinfoil hat talk but these are the Jets after all. If you think things can’t get any crazier with the Jets, they will always prove you wrong.

The situation isn’t much better in Buffalo where QB of the Future EJ Manuel is recovering from a minor “knee procedure” leaving the QB position to the oft-injured Kevin Kolb. As if on cue, Kolb promptly suffered a concussion in Saturday’s preseason tilt with Washington. What were the odds? So, the Bills are down to UDFA rookie Jeff Tuel and wildcat QB Brad Smith. Plan B? Uh, I mean Plan C? The Bills will audition the justifiably much traveled Matt Leinart and John Beck for a roster spot.

Apologies for stating the obvious, but there’s a reason Matt Leinart and John Beck are available.

The Dolphins have lost their starting TE (Dustin Keller), QB Ryan Tannehill’s blind side has been left to the underwhelming Johnathan Martin, none of their running backs look ready to take any pressure off Tannehill and still they look like a model franchise compared to the Jets or Bills. Pigskin pundits and bobbleheads had been cooling to the early buzz generated by Miami’s spending spree during free agency but the Patriots’ stinker in Motown seems to have added to Miami’s chances by subtracting from New England’s.

Not that my confidence in the Patriots hasn’t been checked by reality but I would observe that counting on the other guy to lose isn’t really the best or most reliable strategy for winning. As for enjoying the misery of others, well, that’s just fun.

Will the Patriots come back to the pack in 2013? It sure looked that way last Thursday night. I know that I’d be more than happy with a repeat of last year’s 12-4-0 finish as I sip my morning coffee this late summer Sunday but ultimately there’s really nothing discoverable in a preseason game, even Week 3’ so-called dress rehearsal. We probably won’t really know what the Patriots will be as a football team until the fifth or sixth week of the regular season.  

It will be hard waiting for that moment, but I still think it will be well worth it for Patriots Nation.



No comments:

Post a Comment