Friday, April 5, 2024

Pigskin Luck of the Draw

Let's be real, he said, while talking about mock drafts. What follows is probably (definitely) not going to happen but if it did, I'd be a very happy Patriots fan.


Using the NFL Mock Draft Database Simulator, I wanted to secure…

  1. The Patriots' QB of the Future

  2. A WR1

  3. A Day 1 Starter at Left Tackle


…in that order. Not too much to ask, is it? Okay, that would be a lot.


I started the mock draft thinking Offense, Offense, Offense and while I believe the best talent is always at the top of the draft (Tom Brady, notwithstanding). I'd be willing to trade down, but it would have to be an offer I seriously could not refuse. 


So, what happened?


I got the "Godfather Offer" for pick #3 (both Drake Maye and Jayden Daniels were still on the board so I figured I'd get one of them), and I accepted a few additional trades down for additional picks…



I ultimately wound up with 20 picks…



So far, we've got New England' QB of the Future in Jayden Daniels, one of the best WRs in the draft (and Daniels' college teammate) with Brian Thomas, Jr., two of the better OTs in Tyler Guyton and Patrick Paul, and game-breaking RB Trey Benson to give Rhamondre Stephenson a break now and then. Jalen McMillan, Javon Baker and Roger Rosengarten have gotten a fair amount of chatter from local pigskin pundits and bobbleheads while Johnny Wilson's freakish measurables were just too good to pass up.



Flournoy is one of my favorites in the draft and a potential YAC Machine. The additional picks also let me take some defensive prospects in Nelson Ceaser and Decamerion Richardson, who's wicked fast and could help immediately as a gunner on special teams. A.J. Barner and Tip Reiman have gotten some local buzz as late round TE prospects. Hard to pass on a Wisconsin lineman named Tanor Bartolini, especially with his measurables. A possible successor to David Andrews in the pivot. And yes, another OT with Walter Rouse. Some of those guys are going to move inside at the pro level, you know.



Are we sensing a pattern? Yes! More offensive tackles! Both Caedan Wallace and Frank Crum have intriguing athletic traits (as does DL Jaden Crumedy). Bub Means has gotten some buzz on the Patriot beat and we're all just throwing pasta at the wall at this point.


How did I do? 


Well, I got the QB of the Future, the WR1, and between Guyton and Paul, a Day 1 starter at LT. I picked up enough extra picks to add some defense/special teams help. I missed out on my two favorite TE prospects (Theo Johnson, Ben Sinnott) but I'm not unhappy with Barner and Reiman (and Johnny Wilson might actually wind up being a TE). The drop off in WR talent after the second round is pretty steep, but I threw enough darts at that position that one of those guys should hit. 


As noted above, this Patriots fan would be pretty happy with a really real draft that looks anything like this mock.


How about you?


Feel free to comment below.


Go Pats!


1 comment:

  1. Well, it would probably get them out of the basement. :) But can Jerod Mayo do it?

    ReplyDelete