Tuesday, April 16, 2024

The Elusive A+ Mock Draft

Is the crowd wise? 


I mean algorithm, of course. So, here it is; the elusive A+ mock draft. Not only did the NFL Mock Draft Database simulator give me an A+ for every single pick I made, I was actually pretty happy with the picks, too!


Okay, QB1, WR1, starting OT and blah, blah, blah…



Do I think Michael Penix will actually wind up being the best NFL QB in the 2024 draft? Yes, I do. Can I afford to pass on a QB who might be Josh Allen 2.0? No, I cannot. Welcome to Foxborough, Drake Maye!


There's no way WR Adonai Mitchell is available Day 2 of the really, real draft but there's no way I pass up on a true WR1 if available at #34.


I'm also thinking Patrick Paul could be gone before #68, either, but as a Patriots fan, I would be ecstatic if these were the first three picks of the Wolf/Mayo era.



This is the first mock draft where I've taken Jonah Elliss but he has decent measurables and he can get to the QB. I'm thinking (hoping) he could turn into a Rob Ninkovich type of player on the edge. 


I've been pretty open about my pigskin love for CB Elijah Jones in previous mock drafts; tall, fast, rangy, athletic corner and a huge get at #137.


Jaheim Bell won't be much help on running downs (maybe as an H-Back off play-action) but he should be a threat up the seams on passing downs.



Safety, according to the Patriots beat gridiron cognoscenti, is a "sneaky need" for the Patriots. (Given where the Patriots are, I'd think every position on the field is a "sneaky need" but okay.) Kitan Oladapo is big and fast and looks like immediate help on special teams as he works his way into a rotation with Kyle Duggar and Jabrill Peppers.


At #231, I crowd-sourced a pick based on chatter from local pigskin pundits and bobbleheads. I guess I'm trusting their film study over the fact that I have never seen a Northern Iowa game in my entire life. Rationalization: A big, strong man in the middle of the defensive line, limiting double-teams against Christian Barmore, could be a very good thing.


So, there it is. Stick and pick with an A+ for every pick!


Go Pats!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment