Sunday, April 14, 2024

Stick and Pick Pigskins

 With Draft Day fast approaching, pigskin mockery abounds. In my own personal mockery, I've noticed a recent dearth of "Godfather Offers" for the Patriots #3 pick.


So, what's the best I can do with the "stick and pick" approach for a Patriots mock draft?


Okay, the painfully obvious: The Patriots need a QB1, a WR1, and a starter-level OT. Too much to ask? Let's see…

Patriots Stick and Pick Mock Draft - April 14, 2024


While I find that I have to talk myself into Drake Maye at #3, it usually isn't a long conversation (it always ends with "he does look a lot like Josh Allen").


Adonai Mitchell is a no-brainer; I'd break an ankle getting to the podium if he's available at #34. Okay, not a total no-brainer. OT Tyler Guyton was also available but Mitchell has the size and speed to be a true WR1. 


At #68 I was planning (hoping) to take an OT (Houston's Patrick Paul), but Chris Braswell, the consensus second best EDGE in the draft, just fell into my lap. Couldn't pass on that kind of talent at a premium position.


And finally, at #103, I get an OT; Roger Rosengarten certainly has his fans among the local pigskin pundits and bobbleheads. I'm hoping they're right and this guy is ready to start at LT.



I'm really not sure why Elijah Jones isn't getting more chatter on the Patriots beat. Tall, athletic, fast, and productive. Feels like a steal at #137.


Isaac Guerendo is wicked fast, a potential game-breaker, and has the profile of the type of running back you see in modern NFL offenses. Which would be nice.


Ryan Flournoy has been compared to Deebo Samuel so yes, please.


And with the final pick, I select another OT. This time, an athletic, developmental prospect the local pigskin pundits and bobbleheads have been pushing for Day 3 in Travis Glover. I have similar feelings about Howard's Anim Dankwah, but the draft simulators seem to think I'm an idiot (a "D" as in Dummy) when I reach for him at #231 so I'll trust the wisdom of crowds here (and hope the Pats pick Dankwah up as an UDFA).


Regrets? Well, as noted above, I did pass on some elite talent at OT, and I did not select a TE. I'm going to hate watching Ben Sinnott turn into the next Rob Gronkowski on some other team. (I beg of you, Pigskin Gods, do not let it be the Jets!) After selecting Chris Braswell, I also passed on some of my favorite late round EDGE prospects in Nelson Ceaser and Jalyx Hunt.  


On the whole, I'm pretty happy with this mock draft for the Patriots.


Feel free to let me know how you feel in the comments.


Go Pats!


No comments:

Post a Comment