Monday, September 11, 2023

Pigskin Hope

Yes, my pigskin heroes lost. And yes, they lost in the way I feared they would lose; with a stout defense keeping it close, betrayed in the end by an offense that just isn't good enough. 


And yet, I'm feeling pretty good this fine New England morning, even before that first cup of coffee hits.


That defense is legit. And maybe the Patriots offense isn't that bad, after all.


Okay, I'm not booking tickets to the Super Bowl but I'm not looking ahead to next Sunday with a feeling of fatalistic dread, either. 


ChatGPT, give me an assessment of where the New England Patriots stand, in the voice of Bill Belichick.


The coaches need to coach better and the players need to play better.


Still a lot of football left to be played. 


We'll take a look at the film but I think it's safe to say we can all do better.


It is what it is.


We'll see how it goes.


We're on to Miami.


We're on to Miami.


We're on to Miami.


Fun With Small Data Samples


Mac Jones is on pace to throw for 5,372 yards and 51 TD.


On the other hand, Rhamondre Stevenson is on pace to rush for just 425 yards.


Math can be mean sometimes.


If and Buts


If Troy Brown can teach Kayshon Boutte how to count to two, the Patriots may have something at WR.


Yes, I thought the holding call on the Mac Jones 2-point conversion was bogus but a 25-22 loss would've only made Boutte's lack of toe-drag swag that much more tragic.


Note from the It Only Matters to Me File


The first time the announcers mention Boutte by name - "Booty" - it's become my tradition to yell at my TV "Boo-Tay! Boo-Tay!" If you know, you know. 


Reality Bites


They played without both of their starting guards on the O-Line and it showed. 


Reason to Believe


It wasn't just that they were down 16-0 at the end of the first quarter. It was how they got there. New England looked like a clown car. It was looking bad. Embarrassing. In Foxborough. With Tom Brady watching from the owner's box.


But they didn't lay down.


They didn't quit. 


McCorkle and the offense put up some points and it was just 16-14 by halftime. 


That defense balled out all game long.


Yeah. They fell short.


But I can root for these guys.


(Like I wasn't going to.)


Go Pats!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment