Saturday, September 16, 2023

Pigskin Dreams of Brave Ulysses

The Patriots face a "must win" game in Week 2 with a decimated offensive line


Yeah. Not really.


It's not like the NFL will let the Patriots pack up their stuff and go home if they lose to the Dolphins Sunday night. 


I'm not sure how a team the vast majority of pigskin pundits and bobbleheads picked to finish last in the AFC East could possibly be facing a "must win" game at any point of the season but, hey, this is the NFL and someday Taylor Swift is going to write a song about it.


I'm feeling a bit like Han Solo in that I feel like I've been from one side of this pigskin galaxy to the other and I've seen a lot of strange stuff. So, is winning a Super Bowl after starting out 0-2-0 really such strange stuff?


Of course, in my movie Han is played by Tom Brady so that probably explains a lot.


Could the Patriots lose their first four games and still make the playoffs? 


Sure.


I'm saying there's a chance. The odds are against it but however large the number is to the left of the ":" there's still a 1 on the right.


Manifesting a Patriots Win Sunday Night


The Pats Defense is Legit


Yes, the Dolphins wide receivers are fast. Yes, their "Tyreek Whisperer," Jonathan Jones, is on the Injury Report. Even if he wasn't, I didn't see the Patriots winning by playing coverage; I see them bringing pressure. New England will disguise coverage, and force Tua Tagovailoa to hold the ball just the extra split second Matt Judon, Josh Uche, Christian Barmore, and Keion White need to get home.


O'Brien Uncorks McCorkle 


You could say that last Sunday the Patriots lost by a toe. 


Yes, they lost. 


No, moral victories don't count in the win column. 


But they can make a huge difference in the mindset - the confidence - of the team. Not saying the loss to the Eagles compares to the regular season loss back in 2001 to the Rams (at least, not yet), but I have to believe the Patriots themselves now believe they're good enough to hang with the best in the NFL.


Because they did.


And Mac Jones showed off both his arm talent and mental toughness in battling back from a 16-point deficit.


My point is just that the New England offense doesn't need to get a whole lot better; they just need to get a little better. Like, just one mistake less better.


Also, the Dolphins defense gave up 34 points to the Chargers last week.


The Rookies Come To Play


Second game leap?


While they're hardly seasoned pros after one game, Christian Gonzalez, Keion White, Marte Mapu, Antonio Mafi, Sidy Sow (concussion protocol), Demario Douglas, and Kayshon Boutte have had their Zen Pigskin Slap. I may be dreaming, but…


In my dreams I'm seeing Tua wearing a Keion White suit.


In that same dream I see Marte Mapu forcing a fumble that turns into a scoop and score.


I'm seeing Christian Gonzalez with the pick 6.


I'm seeing Kayshon Boutte actually catching a pass and Demario Douglas jitterbugging to a score on a bubble screen…


Just let me sleep a little longer.


Go Pats!




No comments:

Post a Comment