Monday, January 9, 2023

Pigskin Face Punch

 The good news? 


The Patriots can't lose another game in a heartbreaking and/or statistically unusual way.


Their season is over.


Granted, they were traveling into a buzzsaw of emotions (and playoff implications) in Buffalo. Still, giving up two kickoff returns for touchdowns isn't something you see on any given Sunday and I'm going to guess there's a strong correlation between kick returns for touchdowns and winning. Or giving up touchdowns on kick returns and losing.


I have to admit, I'm somewhat relieved. Yes, I was rooting for my boys to win on Sunday but I also knew in my bones they would be one and done (and likely in blowout fashion) in the playoffs. Unfortunately for the 2022 New England Patriots, they don't just let you play defense. You have to field an offense and a special teams unit, at which, they were not very good. 


You are what your record says you are? 


8-9-0 seems about right.


We're on to 2023.


We'll be watching the playoffs anyway (of course).


Mike's Pigskin Proxy Rooting Guide


Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Tom Brady. Duh.


New York Giants - The first team I rooted for as a lad of 5-years old, back in the heady days of Y.A. Tittle. Also, the Giants current QB is named Jones, too. And, I know there's no chance the Giants will be playing the Patriots in the Super Bowl so there's that.


San Francisco 49ers - That offense is just fun to watch and the Brock Purdy story is the reason why we watch sports. Yes. Some of us are waiting for him to turn back into a pick-6 chucking pumpkin. Not me, but definitely the entire city of Seattle. 


San Diego Chargers - Because they didn't play and beat the Patriots in the regular season so I don't hate them. Also, very cool, old school unis. And Justin Herbert. Guys dig the long ball, too, you know?


Cincinnati Bengals - What am I doing? It's going to be the Eagles and Chiefs in the Super Bowl, isn't it? 


Go Sports!


No comments:

Post a Comment