Saturday, April 30, 2022

Two Days and Three Drafted

 Is it wrong for me to have this smug, self-satisfied feeling of validation because I took CB Marcus Jones at #85 for the Patriots in my final PFF Mock Draft? Just like Bill Belichick just did?


Too much?


Too much.


No, I didn't hit on Cole Strange or Tyquan Thornton but hey, you got to take the win when you get it!


What Do We (Think We) Know (So Far)

  • Thornton and Jones show the Patriots were serious about their need for speed.
  • As noted above, I was already on Marcus Jones, as much because of his kick returning ability as his potential as a stud slot corner. And yes, I obviously think this was a great pick. 
  • Tyquan Thornton was a name I hadn't heard much going into the draft and he never hit my radar through 67 different mock drafts (I need professional help) on PFF but I did take a similar prospect in Nevada WR Romeo Doubs (4/105, below). Having spent the first cup of coffee this morning on YouTube highlights of Thornton, I'm feeling pretty good about that pick, too. Thornton played in an RPO-heavy offense at Baylor which I think plays well to Mac Jones' strengths. Given the trade for DaVante Parker, I didn't see WR as a top priority but I must admit, I'm intrigued by what the Jones-Thornton connection could become.
  • If N'Keal Harry is still a Patriot by the end of Day 3 of the Draft, I will be shocked. Okay, maybe not shocked but really, it's over. It's not you, it's - wait, no! It's not me, it's you! But good luck in all your future endeavors. 
  • Setting aside the "value" debate around taking OG Cole Strange with their first rounder (a debate which can't really be resolved until the Patriots actually play some football),this pick speaks to an obvious need following the loss of cap casualty Shaq Mason and fellow OG Ted Karras in free agency. More importantly, it speaks to the ongoing commitment to the running game in Foxborough. There's plenty that's been written and said by pigskin pundits and bobbleheads about maximizing value through rookie contracts. That conversation typically focuses on quarterbacks (and rightly so, given the cap hit of that second contract for a franchise QB) but in the Patriots' case, that concept also applies to running backs Damien Harris and Rhamondre Steevenson. (Although maximizing RB value may be more actuarial than financial, their value proposition is still time constrained.) Success running the ball will make Mac Jones and those RPO concepts even more effective. That can only happen with an effective offensive line.
  • Not so sexy a pick but certainly necessary, and if Strange turns out to be something between Joe Thuney and Logan Mankins, I'd definitely take that. And so would you.
  • Yes, I'm talking myself into Cole Strange at 1(29). I've almost convinced myself. Almost.
  • The Patriots think they're better off at linebacker than the gridiron cognoscenti do. 
  • In Bill We Trust!

For Reference: My Final Mock Draft (FWIW)



Go Pats!


No comments:

Post a Comment