Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Enemy of my Enemy

Has Bill Belichick given his rival and friend Mike Shanahan a call?  The Giants beat the Patriots during the regular season.  They split with the Eagles.  They swept the Cowboys.  But New York could not beat Washington.  With Rex Grossman at quarterback.  The last game the Giants lost was a road test on FedEx Field.  With Rex Grossman at quarterback.  Wouldn’t you want to know how that happened?




Belichick: Hello, Shanny?  This is Bill.

Shanahan: Bill?  Bill Who?

Belichick: Ha ha ha ha ha.

Shanahan: Ha ha ha ha ha.

Belichick: So, Shanny –

Shanahan: Hey Bill, don’t call me that.

Belichick: What?

Shanahan: Shanny.  Everyone calls me that.  I hate it.

Belichick: My apologies; I thought you liked it.  I never used to call you that.

Shanahan: Okay, thanks.  Wait!  What did you used to call me?

Belichick: Shanahanalamadingdong.

Shanahan: I was wrong.  Call me Shanny.

Belichick: You got it.  So, Shanny, you may have heard that I’ve got the Patriots back in the Super Bowl again.

Shanahan: (sighs)

Belichick: (waits)

Shanahan: Congratulations.

Belichick: Thanks, Shanny.  Coming from you that means a lot.

Shanahan: Yeah, so, why the call?

Belichick: Well, as we both know, you’re the only coach who has a winning record against me.

Shanahan: And Coughlin.

Belichick: (pause) Small data sample.

Shanahan: Okay.

Belichick: Anyway, I couldn't help but notice that you swept the Giants during the regular season.


Shanahan: Yeah.

Belichick: With Rex Grossman at quarterback.

Shanahan: Hey, he’s got a Super Bowl ring, you know.

Belichick: A loser ring.

Shanahan: Whatever.

Belichick: So, I’m just wondering.

Shanahan: Yes?

Belichick: How did you do it?

Shanahan: How did we do it? 

Belichick: (after an uncomfortably long silence) Yes, how did you do it?

Shanahan: Jesus, Bill!  If I knew that do you think we would’ve finished 5-11?



No comments:

Post a Comment