Monday, January 8, 2024

Pigskin Ends and Odds

They say everything ends badly or else it wouldn't end.


And yeah. That was pretty bad.


I was rooting for the Patriots to win. The third pick in the draft is a nice consolation prize but for now it's just a bag of magic beans you bought with the mortgage check. Those beans could just be beans or they could indeed be magic. Let's hope so.


I'll be watching the playoffs, of course, rooting for various teams based on (a) family ties - Go Bills! - or (b) because they're playing against a team I loathe and despise…


Bills over Steelers - The wife's family is from western New York and I loathe and despise the Steelers. Win-Win! I'm fascinated by Josh Allen, who alternately looks like the LeBron James of football one minute and the Jeff George of basketball the next. 


Chiefs over Dolphins - I need more Taylor Swift. And I find the Dolphins to be exceedingly annoying.


Browns IDK Texans - I kind of like the Joe Flacco Revival Show in Cleveland but I also like the Texans' unlikely underdog narrative with their rookie HC/QB combo making the playoffs. 


Packers over Cowboys - We just know Mike McCarthy is going to do something stupid to lose this game, don't we? Like using up all his second half timeouts in the 3rd quarter stupid? Not that rooting for Green Bay feels right so much as rooting for Dallas just feels wrong.


Lions over Rams - Would the planet explode if the Lions won the Super Bowl? Just thinking there must be a good reason why it hasn't happened before. Oh, right! The Lions were terrible before they learned how to bite kneecaps


Buccaneers over Eagles - Because Philadelphia hasn't had a good police car bonfire in a while. 


Ravens vs. 49ers does feel like a Super Bowl inevitability but I'll be rooting for a Bills vs. Lions match up. Like it makes a difference. I'm already thinking about food and drink choices (something that pairs well with vodka) for the Super Bowl and hoping that Steve and Kathy (our friends with the biggest TV) invite us over for the game. 


For now, though, it might be time to bust out those Three Games to Glory DVDs and relive the good times. And I can try to break my own record for most trades down/most picks (29) made in the PFF Mock Draft Simulator. After all, the Patriots need a full rebuild.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment