Monday, November 13, 2023

DOA Pigskins

Well, we're on to 2024, I guess.


Unfortunately, there's still more of 2023 left. 


When will this ending finally end?


Okay, so maybe the Patriots haven't been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs yet but that's really just another reason to hate math, isn't it? Seriously, math; what don't you get about this?


Let's just say the obvious out loud. 


The Patriots are no longer "The Patriots." They're just another NFL franchise.


It's crazy but I actually thought they were going to win in Germany and then get a win after the bye and make a run (I said it was crazy) but now, I'm not even sure they can beat the Giants and the Giants are objectively terrible. Seriously, that game needs to be flexed to prime time. On Pluto.


Some would argue they shouldn't even try to win another game this year. At the moment, I'm not sure they have a choice in the matter, but, okay. It's clear Mac Jones is broken, Bailey Zappe isn't the answer and has anyone seen Will Grier or Malik Cunningham? Yeah. They need the highest pick they can get and hope they can draft next year's C.J. Stroud. They also need a Jahmyr Gibbs and a Michael Mayer and a Broderick Jones and a… 


Well, you get the picture. 


The Patriots need to start over. 


Now.


I've been a Mac Jones stan. I thought he could be Troy Aikman but it turns out he's Sam Darnold. I don't want to see another snap from McCorkle in a Patriots uniform. He might still become a starting-caliber NFL QB somewhere else but it isn't going to happen in New England. I've seen enough of Zappe, too, and I'm not even sure why Will Grier is on the team in the first place.


Yes, I'm beating that Malik Cunningham drum again.


No, I don't think he's Lamar Jackson Lite, let alone a potential face of the franchise QB but I do think he'd be more fun to watch, and he's kind of Schrodinger's QB right now. We're going to have to open the box to find out.


The Patriots blew it at the trade deadline. I could never figure out net present value but then again, I'm mad at math right now so I don't care what New England was offered for Josh Uche, Ezekiel Elliot or anyone else. Belichick needed to make those deals. There's nothing to be done about that now but if there are any moves that will save money on the cap by waiving or outright releasing players, the Patriots have little reason to wait. Keeping those players only increases the possibility the Pats will actually win another game and hurt their draft position. I understand New England is projected to have quite a bit of cap space in 2024 but more would be better. It costs a lot of money to buy a whole new football team. 


Most importantly, Robert Kraft has to decide who will be the new Head Coach (and General Manager) for the New England Patriots. 


I don't think that can be anyone currently on the Patriots coaching staff. I don't think Mike Vrabel is the answer, either. I don't claim to know who should be the next HC of the NEP but the Patriots will not get better by looking backwards. 


They probably won't get better right away, regardless of whatever moves they make. Change is hard, and even harder when it's necessary.


And it is definitely necessary.


No comments:

Post a Comment