Friday, December 9, 2022

Pigskin Vibes

Still a long way to Mordor and my feet are killing me.


Which is to say, the Patriots are 6-6-0, they're all out of offensive linemen, they're running an offense that seems to be trying desperately to prove that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different result, and they likely need to finish the season on a 5-0 run to reach the playoffs, a stretch that concludes with the Bengals, Dolphins, and Bills. So, it's no  wonder some people are already looking to 2023 and shipping Tom Brady to New England because getting back together with the ex that dumped you always works out great.


Which makes what's about to happen fascinating.


Look, history doesn't repeat, but it does have a vibe. 


Quick Non-Football Content Aside: Given the insane number of variables involved and the constantly evolving context, I'd have to guess it's almost impossible for history to repeat. I'm guessing because I'm a writer, not a 'rithmaticer. Wait. I meant "mathematician," of course, because, you know, words are my stock in trade and "'rithmaticer" is not a word. 


Anyway, I've got a vibe about these 2022 New England Patriots and yes, I'm probably switched on to Wishful Thinking mode when I say this, but I remember an equally improbable run to a Super Bowl by the 2001 New England Patriots.


I didn't think that team had the talent to win, either.


They were underdogs for a reason. 


As a football fan, I was playing with house money back then. No expectations. Each win had an "OMG, Becky! Can you believe it?" kind of feel to it that carried me through the soul-crushing drudgery of the work-a-day week that followed. I had taken the red pill. I was talking about Fight Club and I wouldn't shut up about it. Those Patriots were just a team, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love them.


I missed that feeling.


That "OMG, Becky!" feeling, not the "soul-crushing drudgery of the work-a-day week" feeling.


Admittedly, I don't get a "team of destiny" vibe about this team. I didn't for those turn of the century Patriots, either, but like then - and yes, even for all the tragic years before then - these Patriots are my pigskin heroes and I'm gonna ride till I can't no more.


Yes, that song is still stuck in my head three years later. 


And now it's stuck in yours.


You're welcome.


Go Pats!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment