Monday, December 5, 2022

Pigskin Rehab

Football is crazy.


Or maybe it's just me.


How would I know? You know, assuming I am, in fact, crazy.


A Patriots fan walks into a bar and the bartender says, "Where's the long face?"


The Patriots fan shrugs and says, "Hey, at least I'm not a Colts fan."


I'm not sure I can articulate why I feel so much better about the Patriots' chances to make the playoffs after this past Sunday's games. Fundamentally - as in the Patriots are still on the outside looking in at the 2022 playoffs - nothing has changed since last Thursday night. And it doesn't sound like any changes are coming any time soon.


So, why am I feeling so good?


Maybe there's some corollary to the notion that comedy is tragedy plus time at work here. (In my case, I suppose it's manic equals depression plus vodka. Something involving vodka, in any case.) Or maybe it's just the realization that whichever one of this week's lovable losers - the Jets, Chargers, and Patriots - takes that seventh and final playoff spot, will have a lot more to do with luck than skill.


Which, oddly enough, strikes me as good news. 


I think of luck as the mortal enemy of math, and right now, the math hardly favors my pigskin heroes. Luck doesn't care about DVOA or EPA or QBR or any other collection of capital letters representing complex mathematical formulas using Greek letters. 


Luck is chaos. 


And I'm rooting for it.


Go Pats!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment