Saturday, November 19, 2022

Pigskin Perspective

So, yeah, it's one of those "the fate of western civilization hangs in the balance" kind of games this week.


I know it is, because it's one of those "the fate of western civilization hangs in the balance" kind of games every week.


Hm. I think I just may have confused my own personal psychological health with a cataclysm of global proportions. Again.


I'm not sure if that makes me an egotist or a cynic. Or both. Both. Let's go with both.


No, the season will not be over if the Patriots lose to the Jets on Sunday, but it would make the chances of reaching the playoffs slim, with slim seriously considering whether or not to leave town any time soon.


If the Patriots win, we should still hold off on reserving a hotel room in Glendale. (You'd probably have a better chance at getting Taylor Swift tickets, anyway.) That's right; still a lot of football to play. 


Beyond the basics of wins and losses, I am interested in what we're going to find out about the 2022 New England Patriots this Sunday. In the spirit of the season…


Five Patriots Things I'd Be Thankful For This Sunday


The Red Zone isn't The Dead Zone


I was going to wish for the Patriots to score more touchdowns than field goals but then I realized that's the kind of wish a devious genie would satisfy with a one touchdown, zero field goal, 10-7 loss. Suffice to say, I'm looking for the offense to make me stop hating my television. 


And Nick Folk. Sorry, my dude. I know you're just doing your job but every time you trot on the field I feel disappointed. Until you kick. Then I'm relieved the Patriots got something out of the drive.


Belichick's Lease on the Condo in Zach Wilson's Head Hasn't Expired


Darth Hoodie: Zach, I am your father!


Zach Wilson (as Devin McCourty races past him with the Pick-6): Nooooo!


Do you ever get the feeling that Belichick left a voodoo charm in the Jets QB Room before he resigned as HC of the NYJ? Wouldn't you check? Just to be sure?


The Defense Never Stops Stopping


Losing Christian Barmore for four more games is hardly ideal (and yes, I've already stopped thinking "Aaron Donald 2.0!" and started worrying that it's more likely "Dominique Easley 2.0!"), but despite the dearth of superstars on the Patriots defense (Matthew Judon. That's the list.), they're deep at all three levels, can play multiple techniques, and game plan based on matchups. (I'm also wondering why I'm so fascinated by the parenthetical. But I digress. Parenthetically.) The Patriots defense faded a bit down the stretch last year so that does bear watching as New England will play four of their remaining eight games against division opponents, starting with the Jets this Sunday and closing out the season with the Dolphins and Bills.


Special Special Teams


Aside from P Jake Bailey, New England's special teams have played much better in 2022 than in 2021. The kicking game (they still call it football) has always been a focus for the Belichick-era Patriots (starting with a blocked kick-6 and a Troy Brown punt return winning the AFC Championship that sent New England to SB36), which made last year all the more disappointing. This year has been something of a return to form.


This coming Sunday would be the perfect time for Marcus Jones to get his first punt return TD as a pro.


Matt Patricia Figures Out The Math


I don't know if you know this but in the early days of the US space program, a lot of rockets crashed. A lot. Eventually, though, the rockets stopped crashing and America got to the moon.


I don't know if you know this but Patriots OC Matt Patricia is actually a rocket scientist.


It does explain a lot. So, you know, stop crashing those rockets, Matty P!


Go Pats!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment