Friday, November 25, 2022

Pigskin Leftovers

That was disappointing.


Hey! I thought Kirk Cousins was supposed to suck in prime time games.


Hmm. Maybe counting on your opponent to suck isn't the best of strategies.


Yes, the officiating was terrible and the Patriots couldn't catch a break but New England also made some egregious mistakes and in the end, they fell short. They got beat. And if the playoffs started today, I'd be figuring out who to root for instead of the Patriots with my pigskin heroes staying home for the holidays. 


I have to guess that if there's one thing Bill Belichick is most pissed off about it would be the kickoff returned for a TD. I mean, they kicked the ball to a guy - Kene Nwangwu - who already had two KO returns for TD in his young career. Okay, the zebras missed a holding call but as Belichick said after the game, a lot of things went wrong on that play. 


Getting outscored 10-0 in the 4th period probably isn't far down Belichick's list of reasons to eat his feelings in pie-shaped wedges of smashed gourd baked in a crust.


The good news?


Well, the Patriots hung with a very good - now 9-2-0 - Vikings team. 


They also won't have to defend Justin Jefferson again this season (unless it's in the Super Bowl, which I'm only saying because math - yes, I'm saying there's a chance).


And Mac Jones played his best game of the season, besting his previous best game of the season, which he played just last Sunday. McCorkle posted a 28/39/382/2/0 slash line. For anyone (who me?) starting to worry that Mac was a one-hit wonder, it appears he's finally broken out of his sophomore slump. 


Yes it's a small data sample but, well, shut up already, will you?


The Patriots have a hard road ahead of them, beginning next Thursday night against the Buffalo Bills. The playoffs will be a daunting quest for my pigskin heroes but as difficult as the schedule is, I think the Patriots are capable of meeting the challenge. The margin of error for this team is still incredibly thin - they must play near perfect football to win. 


I suppose that isn't exactly good news but it isn't new news, either, so I guess there's that.


It is what it is.


And I'm here for the ride.


Say, that isn't a handbasket, is it?


Go Pats!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment