Thursday, March 13, 2014

A Change is Gonna Come

It’s been a crazy 48 hours, compounded by the fact that I’ve suffered through a brutal head cold. Sinus pressure and pain that brought me quite literally to tears. In between a dry unproductive hacking cough I thought would turn my face inside out. Yuck! The loss of Talib, the signing of Revis followed hard by Wilfork’s request to be released. There would be no restructuring of Big Vince’s contract, no cap relief. I’m reminded once again that everything ends badly or else it wouldn’t end.


The fact the Patriots didn’t release Wilfork before his request was leaked to the pigskin pundits and bobbleheads makes me wonder if New England is shopping Vince for a 5th round draft choice.

Probably not. I mean, everybody has to ask the same questions about Wilfork. Age and injury. Not a good combination. Well, injury and anything else is probably a bad combination.

Maybe the Patriots are trying to talk Vince in off the ledge. New England is still the best place for him.

On the other hand, there’s always a chance he could find more than $7.5m guaranteed somewhere else (and I have no idea what terms the Patriots presented). The Raiders? (Really?) Denver? The Jets? Cleveland? I suppose anything’s possible.

It’s happened before of course. Willie McGinest, Ty Law, Asante Samuel, Richard Seymour, Lawyer Milloy and that’s just off the top of my head. It hurts, of course, but it’s the reality. Football players get old, they lose that critical half step, they get hurt and repaired and concussed and eventually they get asked to take a pay cut or move on and good luck.

Vince Wilfork just watched DeMarcus Ware get 3 years and $30m. He’s got to ask, why not me?

It will hurt to see Wilfork in another uniform. It will seem strange to see another player wearing 75 for New England. And yet, I’m reminded of another saying about endings (pretty sure I heard this is a West Wing episode); if this is going to end badly, it’s best if it end right away.

Goodbye Vince.




No comments:

Post a Comment