Friday, March 8, 2013

Already Gone


 
 
I haven’t even wanted to talk about it. As if saying out loud would make it real. Wes Welker may have caught his last pass from Tom Brady. Or did he catch the last pass Tom Brady threw his way?

Sorry, couldn’t help my shriveled, bitter soul from getting the better of me there.

Welker will test the market.

There, I’ve said it.

I’ve seen this movie before. The Patriots have made their best offer. Some other team will offer Welker more. Will the difference in money be enough? Will Welker value his chances of having a bust in Canton enough that he will stay with Brady, a situation that almost guarantees Welker will continue to put up numbers of historical proportion?

What if the Bengals (despite the cautionary tale that is BenJarvus Green-Ellis) throw an obscene amount of money at Welker? Andy Dalton gets 27% better immediately. Pencil A.J. Green in for 14+ TD catches. It’s got to help Mohammed Sanu get open, too. They’ve got plenty of cap space. If you’re Wes Welker and its more money than you can even imagine, don’t you talk yourself into believing the Bengals are a Super Bowl contender?

It doesn’t sound that farfetched, does it? I mean, except for the Bengals being Super Bowl contenders. That’s just crazy talk.

Maybe I’m just being moody-like. Maybe I’m working a reverse jinx. No, I only wish that was true. (Maybe Welker is the jinx! They haven’t won a Super Bowl since he’s been here, have they?) Maybe I’m just planning for the worst. Maybe once you’ve heard the millionth variation on “they’re better together” you start to think, “Really? Is that true? Why do they keep saying that? Who are they trying to convince?”

Will the Patriots be okay without Wes Welker? Depends on what you mean by “okay.” The Patriots should win the AFC East and make the playoffs without Welker. If Gronkowski is healthy for the playoffs I like their chances. Let’s face it, one and done in the playoffs would be seen as a big disappointment for the Patriots with or without Wes Welker.

I do like their chances better with Welker.

And it would be more emotionally satisfying to see Wes on the grandstand, covered in confetti, hoisting the Lombardi with Tom Terrific.

I hope it happens, really I do.

They are better together, after all.


No comments:

Post a Comment