Monday, August 21, 2023

Pigskin Uncertainty

 Maybe Heisenberg is right. 


I should not be observing the preseason.


It really isn't good for either involved party.


Whatever. 


First things first: Happy to see Isaiah Bolden is doing okay.


Also, Andrew Steuber is off Mac Jones' Christmas card list. I mean, I don't know that for sure but it seems likely.


Look, I have no idea what Bill Belichick is seeing and I do believe he has a plan but I'm having a hard time figuring out who these 2023 New England Patriots are. I can see where they are (Playoffs? You kidding me?) but I have no idea where they're going or how fast they can get there.


They've put together a pretty good running back room and they have a young QB who's at his best throwing from the pocket but their offensive line is a dumpster fire on a train wreck. Yeah, yeah. We haven't seen their starters yet. Like, that's a good thing? The Patriots "best" offensive line configuration looks to be enigmatic, hurt, old, really old, or returning from off-season surgery. Yikes! 


Maybe you think Belichick is waiting to see who's available as teams get their rosters down to a final 53, but I'm not feeling that good about picking through the detritus of the Andrew Steuber's of the NFL and I don't think Belichick is, either. 


So…


How about a trade?


Recent posts by local pigskin pundits and bobbleheads have argued that the Patriots actually have too many wide receivers. With recent "shiny penny" performances by rookies Kayshon Boutte and Demario Douglas, it begged the "will they/won't they keep six wide receivers" question, given the consensus that neither Boutte or Douglas would make it through waivers to the practice squad.


Which means, there should be some receiver-needy teams out there. One of those teams might have an offensive lineman better than what we've seen from the Pats in preseason. (Not exactly a hot take.) Now, I'm not suggesting New England trades Boutte or Douglas. Those two look too much like the type of receiver Mac Jones was successful throwing to in college for me to cut or trade. And if the Pats are going to get a starting lineman or even a reliable swing tackle, they're not going to get that done with unproven - if promising - rookies. 


Kendrick Bourne, I'm looking at you. 


I'm not happy about it, but I can't see Belichick moving on from Devante Parker or JuJu Smith-Shuster. Tyquan Thornton looks like a permanent fixture on IL, and as noted above, I'm intrigued by both of the rookie wideouts. 


That leaves Bourne. A talent for talent trade should net a decent offensive lineman assuming Belichick could find a need for need match and a willing GM to make the deal.


Or maybe Dietrich Wise, Jr.? 


I saw a post a few weeks ago suggesting Belichick would "sell high" on Wise, who's coming off his best season as a Patriot. He's 29-years old and carries an $8.7MM cap hit. Solid, reliable, and sturdy (he's played in 95 of a possible 97 games since 2017), but maybe his blue collar production doesn't justify the price point.


Would I take an offensive tackle that good in exchange for Wise? 


Yes. Yes I would.


If I had to guess, though, I'd guess neither one of those things will happen.


I don't think Belichick wants to roll the dice on two rookie wide receivers when he could start Parker, Smith-Shuster, and Bourne; three proven talents. 


And I think Belichick loves football players like Dietrich Wise, Jr. I'd sooner bet on a contract restructure/bonus conversion/extension for Wise than see him cut or traded.


Okay. So I've lost another argument with myself.


Yeah. I have no idea how Belichick will do it but I do know this: He won't stop looking until he finds somebody to block for Rhamondre Stevenson and Zeke Elliot and keep Mac Jones out of the concussion protocols.


I'm just hoping he finds them soon.


Go Pats!


No comments:

Post a Comment