Monday, February 7, 2022

For Love of the Game

At a time when sports no longer feels like my inner child's panic room, the only safe haven from the really real world (destroying evidence - apparently, it's what we do in America), Mac Jones is everything.


I only tuned into the Pro Bowl because Jones had been named as an alternate. I had seen the video from the "Thread the Needle" skills competition and had already talked myself into how much the Pro Bowl experience would help Mac Jones develop as an NFL QB; the Padawan amongst Jedi Masters. Maybe seeing Mac throwing passes to Stefon Diggs, Tyreek Hill, et al., would help Bill Belichick pull the trigger on a first round wide receiver in the 2022 draft. 


Win, win!


Then came that dash to the disco. The griddy. Yes, he danced badly. (Duh. White Guy.) But it was impossible to deny the absolute and utter joy in that moment. (If you didn't laugh out loud when you saw Jones fist-pumping the crowd after hitting the griddy, check your pulse; you might be dead.) That was every kid ever scoring a touchdown in his backyard playing with his friends from the neighborhood. 


I don't think I even realized how much I needed it until it actually happened. 


Mac Jones is my Mac Daddy.


Good luck in Jacksonville, Trevor Lawrence. I wish you no ill will. Sell all the subs and hair products you can. (Seriously, get a haircut you hippie!) All the best, Trey Lance and Justin Fields. May you be slightly above average in everything you do. That probably won't be good enough for 49ers and Bears fans (respectively), and they won't have Jimmy Garoppolo and Matt Nagy (respectively) to blame for their pigskin heartbreaks, but you already know that, don't you? Sorry Zach Wilson, but you're a Jet. I look forward to you breaking all of Joe Namath's career and single season records. For interceptions.


Welcome to your place in history, gentlemen. 


You're The Mac Jones 4. 

No comments:

Post a Comment