Wednesday, February 23, 2022

The Bradbury 52 Assumption So Far

Like Tommy and Gina, I'm halfway there


[Note: If you always sort Modified rather than sort Name, you may want to read this first.]


I'm a bit off schedule. I have not been able to stay on the "one story a week" pace set out in Ray Bradbury's assumption. (For those who didn't follow the link above, it goes like this: Write a short story every week for a year. You can't write 52 bad short stories in a row.) Despite the moments of existential doubt, my own native laziness, and the surprising ease with which you can find yourself standing in the corner of a metaphoric room with no doors or windows (the struggle is real), I've reached the halfway point with 26 short stories posted on TSCIF.


Along the way, I've often surprised myself in what I've written. Maybe it was embracing the improv approach for story ideas. Maybe I'm just a lot more sentimental that I thought I was. Maybe I'm just a mystery to myself. Whatever the case, I'm including a list (below) of the stories posted so far. I hope you find whatever you choose to read entertaining, and encourage you to leave a comment. I'd prefer constructive criticism, but even if all you have to say is "You suck!" it could help. Not me specifically, but, it could help American Literature writ large. At any rate, I only have 26 more chances to get this right, and could use all the help I can get!


The Bradbury 52 Assumption Posts

  1. The Art Gallery - A "What if?" love story.

  2. The Boat - A ghost story.

  3. The Chessboard - H/T to Rod Serling & "The Twilight Zone."

  4. The Desert - Still stuck in "The Twilight Zone." 

  5. The Trip to Egypt - Another love story! Bonus: Mummy's Curse!

  6. The Fortune Teller's Shop - Another love story? I love rom-coms but who am I, really? 

  7. The Grocery Store - A dream is a wish your heart makes…

  8. The Henhouse - A riff on a children's story. Or an SNL sketch cut after dress?

  9. The Iceberg - Vampires!

  10. The Jurassic Age - Time Travel and Dinosaurs with a nod to Dan Brown.

  11. The Karaoke Bar - Elvis! Orbison! Spice Girls! 

  12. Not A Lighthouse - Sci-Fi for Pandemic Era Conspiracy Theorists.

  13. The Mechanic's Shop - Sci-Fi with a Boy Band (sort of).

  14. Neverland - More Sci-Fi; with a dash of cracked black pepper humor.

  15. The Orchard - My Halloween Story: Horror/Scooby Doo/New England.

  16. The Pirate Ship - H/T to Jules Verne and William Goldman.

  17. Quicksand - A rom-com with an unhappy ending for Steve and Alison.

  18. The Red Carpet - The 5 Stages of Grief for Steve and Alison's failed relationship.

  19. The Spaceship - H/T to The Castle of Otranto; a modern medieval dream of lost love.

  20. The Tourist Trap - New England gothic with "Neptune's Curse" and eco-warriors.

  21. Underground - Sci-Fi/YA love story mashup.

  22. The Vampire's House - The "cutthroat" business of real estate. 

  23. The Witch's Cavern - My scary campfire story.

  24. The X-Ray Lab - H/T to Melville's "Bartleby the Scrivener."

  25. The Yard Sale - Another love story! 

  26. Zombie Vacation Spot - Spoiler Alert: Zombies!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment