Friday, December 31, 2021

There Is No Try, Only Do Your Job

Some must win games are mustier than others.


This week's game against the Jaguars is the mustiest for the Patriots.


If you're mathematically inclined, you may wish to dispute my judgment here. A loss on Sunday would not eliminate the Patriots from the playoffs. 


So stipulated.


But I'm not here to talk about math (beyond basic calculator app arithmetic). I'm here to talk about organ meats. Brains. Heart. Pancreas? (Okay, I'm clearly not here to talk about biology or nutrition, either.) Do your job. Well. Trust your teammates. Disciplined, situational football. All three phases of the game for the full 60 minutes. Mental toughness. The Way of the Patriot. The Art of War.


You know when things are going badly?


When it's 4th and short for your opponent and they're going for it and you say, "The one thing the Patriots cannot do here is jump offsides." 


And then, they do.


Maybe I'm here to talk about compasses because this Patriots team seems to have lost it's way in December. Luckily, their next game is in January. 


Maybe I'm here to talk about jellyfish-based memory supplements because I'd really like the Patriots to remember who they were in November. It wasn't that long ago. I'm pretty sure there's videotape. Also, do jellyfish have brains? How does that even work?


Maybe I'm still holding out hope the Patriots could not only make it into the playoffs, they could actually win in the Wild Card round. After that, all bets are off. Thinking Super Bowl for the Patriots is certainly amusing. It's fun to think about how everyone west of that Connecticut River would lose their minds (and their shit) but also seriously insane. Or perhaps it would be more accurate to say delusional. (I'm clearly not a clinical psychologist, either.)


So, maybe I'm here to talk about crazy, then, because while I may think it's insane (or delusional), the Patriots need to embrace the madness, need to believe in their heart of hearts they can win it all, and they need to take that mindset onto the field this Sunday. 


This Sunday is a must win game for the Patriots because they have something to prove, not to pigskin pundits and bobbleheads, but to themselves.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment