Sunday, November 10, 2013

A Few Bad Men

I’ve never been in an NFL locker room. I don’t know any more about the Richie Incognito-Jonathan Martin story than you do. I guess it’s always cool to play a Jack Nicholson clip but I’m not sure I buy the “A Few Good Men” meme. I’m never comfortable with the comparison of professional athletes to the men and women who serve in the military – even if it’s a movie. I know the “blood in” story in Sebastian Junger’s brilliant “War” and recognized the extreme circumstances under which those men were living. Do not make the mistake of extending the same level of understanding and empathy we feel for men and women under fire to athletes on a playing field. Those men in Restrepo were not playing.

 
Let me say that anyone shouting out Aaron Hernandez’ name (or Ray Lewis or Rae Carruth, et al.) is missing the point. Maybe you’ve got numbers that prove me wrong but I don’t think NFL players are statistically more likely to commit murder, drive while impaired, possess unregistered guns or beat up their girlfriends than the general population. In any case, the Incognito-Martin story is about the locker room, not what players do off the field.

In a previous post I referenced “The Lord of the Flies” and while I think there appear to be many parallels, perhaps an even better source of illumination may be found in the Stanford prison experiment. Once Richie Incognito was placed in a position of power it was inevitable that he would use and abuse that power. From his point of view, his position on the Dolphins’ leadership council legitimized his every action. I believe he was sincere when he said he felt hurt and betrayed by Martin’s actions because, in his frame of reference as a “prison guard,” he was simply doing what was right and just; he was doing his job. That he now sees himself as a victim “of the environment” is also telling. The various Dolphins’ teammates who have referred to Incognito and Martin as friends may be deluding and distancing themselves or they may have missed the fact that Martin too was cast in a role (the “prisoner” in this analogy) and acquiesced in a way that he hoped would reduce or end the abuse.

I can almost understand why some Dolphins’ players would back Incognito and justify that with the notion that football is a game played by tough guys. If Incognito is a thug and a racist off the field, so what; he’s got my back when we’re on the field. When you’re jogging up to the line of scrimmage, there’s something to be said for having the dirtiest player in the league on your side. Whether he is or isn’t, you know it’s in the head of the guy on the other side of the ball.

Call me crazy but I don’t want a player on the field who’s an unsportsmanlike conduct or unnecessary roughness penalty waiting to happen. Incognito may be a tough guy but I don’t think anyone has ever described him as mentally tough. His history of cheap shots and after the whistle action would absolutely be a part of my defensive game plan.

Call me crazy but I see a huge difference between carrying a veteran’s pads and buying coffee and donuts for the unit to threats of physical violence, including the gang rape of my sister. I just can’t see how that creates camaraderie or builds a team. Maybe I’m not a tough guy and I just wouldn’t understand.

Start printing up the “Richie Incognito Died for Your Sins” t-shirts. It’s all about the lawyers and brand image now.



No comments:

Post a Comment