Saturday, August 27, 2011

Questions Three

Life is full of questions.  Life is also full of answers.  It’s connecting the two that seems to be the hard part.  And yeah, I’ll be saving “If God loves us then why is there poverty, hunger and starvation?” for later.


Do I really want a 50/50 pass/run split for the Patriots’ offense in 2011?

Earlier this week I read an interesting post on Pats Pulpit, A Patriots Stat Guide for Success in 2011.   The only point I questioned was the desire to have a completely balanced approach to pass/run for the Patriots offense.  The assumptions seem to make sense (a good running game will make Brady more effective and place him in harm’s way on fewer snaps) and Patriots’ fans have misty water-colored memories of the Super Bowl years, when a tough defense, a between-the-tackles running game and Adam Vinatieri’s elven bunions were the keys to winning.  It looks like the defense will be better in 2011 and Stephen Gostkowski looks like he’s fully recovered from his quad injury; feed the rock to BenJarvus Green-Ellis and Stevan Ridley, kick t and book the trip to Indianapolis!

In assessing Ochocinco’s potential impact on the Patriots, however, I suggested that Tom Terrific should actually throw the ball more in 2011.  I based that on a desire to put the ball in the best player’s hands – Brady’s – as often as possible and a desire to see Ochocinco as a +1 rather than a net 0 (taking catches away from other receivers).

So, somebody is wrong here and based on my life experience, the odds say it’s almost certainly me (86.7% probability), but that didn’t stop me from wondering about those Super Bowl seasons….

Season
Pass
Rush
Split
2001
482
473
51/49
2003
537
473
53/47
2004
485
524
48/52

The Patriots were a little bit pass wacky in ’03 and more of a ground and pound operation in ‘04.  The difference?  In 2003, the Pats’ leading rusher was Antowain Smith (624 yards); in 2004 it was Clock-Killin’ Corey Dillon (1,635 yards).  David Givens was the leading receiver for New England in 2004 with 56 receptions; Deion Branch was limited to nine games and 35 catches.

I realize this is a small data sample but I’m just not seeing a correlation between Super Bowl success and a balanced offensive attack.  It seems to me that the Patriots simply played to their strengths.  As much as we tend see the Patriots of 2001-2004 as a continuum, I would say that the 2003 and 2004 teams were significantly different offensively.

I would also note that the pass/run ratio in 2010 was identical to 2003 at 53/47 and yet somehow the Patriots failed to win the Super Bowl! 

Numbers!  You have betrayed me!

Maybe there is no answer for this question, after all.


Should I really be that happy when the big news out of camp is that Albert Haynesworth will not be doing time?

Okay, I’ll admit it.  When I heard the good news I reflexively said, “Yes!” in that fake shout/whisper that is barely audible yet still deserves an exclamation point (and italics).

A little fist pump, too.

I realized today that it’s been a long time since Irving Fryer.  I’m sure I’m forgetting a misdemeanor or two in between.  I’m not forgetting Bryan Cox, Rodney Harrison, Corey Dillon and Randy Moss but their mischief was usually adjudicated by The Commish, not the district court system.  Irving is the last Patriots player I remember that I expected to hear about on the 11:00 o’clock news during the news segment.  I would hear the anchor start a story with “Police in Dorchester…” and fully expect the narrative to lead inexorably to “…the home of troubled Patriots wide receiver Irving Fryer…”

It will be hard to describe anything that happens involving Albert Haynesworth as a surprise, good or bad. 

The suspense is already killing me.


Is it wrong to hate Mark Sanchez?

It’s hard for a Patriots’ fan to make fun of Sanchez’ GQ cover.  (Remember this?)  Still, I’d like to think it occupies a special place in the Patriots’ locker room. 

“The bright new face of the NFL?”

Really?

I understand the antipathy towards Tom Brady.  Super Bowl Champion.  MVP.  Dated movie stars and married a Brazilian super model – the Brazilian super model.  Dimple-chinned, Harrison Ford-level good looks.  Tommy.  Look at how cute that goat is!  Yeah.  Objectively speaking, a lot to work with there for haters.

Is it Sanchez’ fault that GQ decided to put a quarterback who last year set a career best passer rating of 75.3 while completing a career best 54.8% of his pass attempts?  (He makes up for those mediocre numbers with moxie, am I right?)  I mean, if GQ comes calling, don’t you say yes?  (You get to keep the clothes, right?)  Sanchez is a graduate of Pete Carroll’s morally bankrupt USC program but is that his fault?  Is it his fault the most popular search for Mark Sanchez on Google is “Mark Sanchez 17 year old”?  Okay, probably at least a little bit his fault, there.  At least she wasn’t a 16 year old.

Well, right or wrong, Mark Sanchez is going on my list.  It feels right somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment