Tuesday, February 27, 2024

NFL Draft Mockery

Why do we simple folk, the GMs without portfolios, the "Honey Do" list procrastinators, the "yeah, I played some ball in middle school" types; why do we mock the NFL draft?


Well, it can be crazy good fun, even if it is a complete and utter waste of time. Wait! Isn't that the definition of everything that's fun?


So, my latest effort, using the NFL Mock Draft Simulator turned out pretty well for my beloved Patriots, if I do say so myself. My draft philosophy for 2024 is All Offense All The Time, with obvious needs at QB, OT, WR, and TE.


Let's enter the draft!


Jacksonville offered me picks #17, #48, #96, next year's first and second rounders, and WR Calvin Ridley for #3. I said yes. It wound up being the only trade I made. 


#17 - OT Olumuyiwa Fashanu, Penn State


Yes, I missed out on Joe Alt at #3, but I was able to pick arguably the second best OT in the draft here.


#34 - OT Jordan Morgan, Arizona


I've seen local pigskin pundits and bobbleheads mentioning Morgan as a potential long-term starter at left tackle. And…


#48 - QB J.J. McCarthy, Michigan


I'm guessing that after the combine McCarthy won't be available in the second round in any of these on-line simulators. I've run enough mocks already to feel pretty confident McCarthy would be here (for now). The Pats have had pretty good success in the past with Michigan quarterbacks.


#68 - WR Malachi Corley, Western Kentucky


Another pick I crowd-sourced from local pigskin pundits and bobbleheads. Advertised as a "YAC Machine" and compared to Deebo Samuel? Yes, please.


#96 - OT Blake Fisher, Notre Dame


Best available offensive tackle, and one of those prospects who might be undervalued when compared to his more famous teammate (Alt). I'm getting as many offensive tackles as I can. I'd love to let Trent Brown go and move Mike Onwenu back to guard (assuming they franchise or re-sign him).


#104 - WR Jacob Cowing, Arizona


A little too much like the Malachi Corley pick? Yeah. Probably. Still, can't have too many playmakers.


#136 - TE Jaheim Bell, Florida State


A move/H-Back type of TE. And yes, I waited too long for the Tight End position but still got a well-regarded prospect in Bell.


#182 - TE Jared Wiley, TCU


You can't coach height and the 6'7" Wiley projects as a red zone weapon for the Pats and (checking notes) they could really use a red zone threat.


#229 - OT Anim Dankwah, Howard


A large human being at a position of need. I was thinking of taking a kicker here but this simulator doesn't provide a P/K filter so I went with best value for the positions of need (OT, WR, TE).


All right. 


The Patriots get their (fingers crossed) QB of the future in J.J. McCarthy, rebuild the OT position (with Onwenu and Sidy Sow kicking back inside to guard), transformed the WR room with the picks plus Calvin Ridley, and provided some playmaking at TE (and I wouldn't mind if the Pats re-signed Hunter Henry to mentor the kids). 


There were a few players I've fallen in love with that I missed out on grabbing in this mock, including WR Xavier Leggette of South Carolina and RB Blake Corum of Michigan (Day 2) or RB Cody Schrader of Missouri (Day 3) but you can't have everything, can you?


Go Pats!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment