Monday, December 4, 2023

No Chance for Parole Pigskins

When your team does something that hasn't happened since the 1930s, you just have to hope it doesn't have anything to do with Al Capone.


I know I'm setting the bar low but hey, I'm talking about my New England Patriots here.


Maybe the pigskin universe seeks and finds balance whether we want it to or not. The Patriots from 2001 to 2019 were historically good. It may only seem fair to the Gridiron Gods that the Patriots should be historically bad, too. I'm just hoping it won't be like this for 20 years. After all, the Patriots banked at least a decade of badness before Brady.


Objectively, I know that's now how anything in the universe actually works (Einstein was wrong about God and his gambling habit). Having said that, if Brady publishes a biography co-written with B. L. Zebub, let's just say I'd not be surprised. 


Okay, yes, that would surprise me and leave me with little choice but to pack my bags for Hell where I can sit around creation's largest campfire and sing Woody Guthrie songs with my fellow atheists.


Come to think of it, finding out Bill Belichick is Al Capone's illegitimate grandson wouldn't have been anywhere as bad as what I saw on the field at Gillette Stadium yesterday. In fact, it sort of writes itself. 


Perhaps - at the very least - it would provide at least a momentary distraction from what's happening on the football field. I think it would also mean DeNiro has to play Belichick in the inevitable biopic.


And yet, despite everything, I'll be right there, in front of the TV again this Thursday night for my pigskin heroes.


If it's true that only lost causes are worth fighting for then I guess I'll be right where I should be.


Still my boys.


Go Pats!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment