Saturday, March 28, 2020

Everything Must Go!

The Tom Brady Era in New England is over. I've denied it, I've gotten angry about it, and I've finally (I think) accepted it.

So… Now what?


If there's consensus among the Patriots faithful, I haven't been able to figure it out. Some believe they can still win the AFC East with Jarrett Stidham at QB. (The default "In Bill We Trust" position.) Some think that extra playoff spot has the Patriots name written all over it. A Super Bowl run? Not so much. Some believe they will go 8-8-0. Nobody believes the Patriots will tank.

Disclaimer: Bill Belichick knows a lot more about professional football than I do. Still, playing armchair GM is one of the great joys of being a fan and, well, let's just say that I - like many other Americans - have been spending an inordinate amount of time in my armchair lately.

I personally believe this is going to be a rough year for the Patriots. 5-11-0 rough. Maybe worse. Even the Jets think they can beat New England now. 

I'm also a "rip the band-aid off" kind of guy. Given that, I'd be tempted to tear the Patriots down to the studs and essentially start over now, rather than wait until 2021. I'd follow the Miami Dolphins model and jettison players based on payroll and age. I'd make anyone with a cap hit over $5MM and anyone 30 or over available. I'd be calling the Lions, Titans, Giants, and Buccaneers looking for picks in 2020 and 2021…

Stephon Gilmore to the Lions

I doubt the Patriots can get pick #3 from the Lions but I can dream, can't I? How about that 2nd round pick (#36) and a third or fourth? We are talking about the 2019 DPOY, after all.

The Lions have the cap space to absorb Gilmore's $18.6MM cap hit and be an upgrade over the recently departed Darius Slay. 

Dont'a Hightower to the Titans

Hightower is Mr. February but the Pats won't be playing in February. Perhaps a team that feels like they're positioned to compete for the Lombardi Trophy might be interested. His age and injury history will likely limit his market and the return the Patriots can expect. A 2021 3rd rounder? 

The Titans have plenty of cap space and aspirations to a Super Bowl run.

Julian Edelman to the Buccaneers

This one just writes itself, doesn't it? A 3rd round pick is probably a lot to expect for the 33-year old slot receiver but maybe a 4th? After HC Bruce Arians shut down the Antonio Brown scenario, Edelman would be a nice consolation prize for Brady and the Bucs offense.

Edelman with Mike Evans and Chris Godwin would be a flying circus with Brady at the controls. As a football fan I can only say, please, make this happen!

Caveat: If Belichick and Josh McDaniels believe Stidham is the future at QB, they can't let Edelman go; Jules would be the ultimate teammate and go to guy for the second-year signal-caller.

Mohamed Sanu to the Does It Matter?

I doubt the Patriots can get back that 2nd round pick they gave up for Sanu (it feels foolish even saying that) but getting a 6th or 7th along with the $6MM in cap space would be good at this point. 

Okay, I'm surprised the Pats haven't already cut Sanu as he carries $0.00 in dead cap space.

Joe Thuney to the Texans (maybe the Giants or Panthers)

Assuming Belichick can't get an extension done (and I don't think a deal like Shaq Mason's is going to get it done with Thuney)… This one may actually make too much sense to happen, given Bill O'Brien's recent roster moves. Houston has plenty of cap space and chronic issues on the offensive line. No brainer? (Texans fans just cringed as I linked Bill O'Brien and the phrase "no brainer." Too soon?) 

You're telling me O'Brien hasn't already given Belichick a call about Thuney? Oh. You are telling me that.

Marcus Cannon/Shaq Mason

Due Diligence: Both Cannon and Mason have relatively hefty cap hits but I don't see a market for the oft-injured Cannon and Mason is coming off an up and down season (though he did finish strong). 

I'd be surprised if either Cannon or Mason are moved not because Belichick sees them as crucial pieces in 2020 and beyond but because I just don't see other teams thinking they're a Marcus Cannon or a Shaq Mason away from making a Super Bowl run.

James White

Caveat: White falls outside the parameters of this exercise; his cap hit is under $5MM and he's 28-years old. Having said that, and admitting that the fungible nature of NFL running backs, it's hard to project a king's ransom in return. A 4th rounder might even be too rich. 

I'm probably influenced in this case by the desire to see Brady succeed as a Buccaneer. Adding White to the already impressive list of offensive weapons (plus Edelman) in Tampa Bay? It seems like it should be illegal. 

Counterpoint: See note on Edelman, above.

Okay…

So, maybe this is just my way of saying goodbye (and godspeed) to Brady and to everything he's meant to me as a Patriots fan. The Patriots have to start over and so do I. I don't want to see any of the players above (except maybe Sanu) leave New England but then, I didn't want to see Tom Terrific leave, either.

I've rooted for 5-11-0 teams before. I'll be happy to do that again (if we actually have football) in 2020 knowing the last time I rooted for a 5-11-0 team, they went to the Super Bowl the very next year.

Go Pats!

No comments:

Post a Comment