Sunday, June 11, 2017

Positivity

Things have been going so well for Patriots fans it's hard not to wonder if we're being set up. By fate or karma or whatever you call it. Maybe that's just me. As I grow older I feel increasingly uncomfortable speaking for anyone but myself. So, let me stick to me and my feelings.

I feel like the rest of the pigskin world has been working a super massive reverse jinx on the New England Patriots.


Pigskin pundits and bobbleheads are searching for the team that can beat the Patriots, comping the 2007 team, noting Gronk's return to practice, Brandin Cooks clicking with Tom Brady, the extension for Edelman, and the absolutely stacked wide receiver and running back position groups. Seriously, who has too many running backs? The people who make money off emotionally unstable people with a gambling addiction have installed the Patriots as favorites in every one of their regular season games. Get in your time machine, set your destination to Minneapolis on February 4, 2018 and you will find the Patriots and Cowboys waiting there for you.

Yes, Jets fans, I know. These are good problems to have. It's been a long time since I've felt your kind of pain. Thanks for the perspective.

But know this, Jets fans. Every game your team wins this year will be cause for wild and unbridled celebration. For me, every Patriots win will be met with a grim and ephemeral sense of relief.

Don't get me wrong.

I'm not offering to change places.

Because these are good problems to have.

I remember thinking when the Patriots won SB49 that it just couldn't get any better than that. It was the best unscripted reality show ever. Coming back from a 10-point deficit in the 4th quarter against the best defense in the NFL and winning it on a goal-line stand with all of that happening with Deflategate on full media blast… How can you top that?

Then the 2016 season and SB51 happened. A 10-point deficit? How about a 25-point deficit? If 2014 and SB49 were "The Godfather," 2016 and SB51 was definitely "The Godfather II." Only DeNiro could top Brando; as it turned out, only Brady could top Brady.

So, why can't the 2017 season be...

Hm. I feel like I may have painted myself into a metaphorical corner with the Godfather movies comp. The 2017 Patriots as "Godfather III?" I hope not.

Or maybe it makes sense given my current state of mind. Everything is set up for the greatest season of Patriots football during the Belichick era but what if it isn't? "Godfather III" had Coppola in the director's chair and Al Pacino returning as Michael. Young talents Andy Garcia and Bridget Fonda had joined the cast. You have to think Paramount was feeling pretty good about it. And it did well enough at the box office and during awards season, including nominations for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Cinematography and well, the point is, while "Godfather III" got to the big game, it didn't win.

That's the point, I suppose. The Patriots are measured by Super Bowls.

And yeah.

Good problem to have.


No comments:

Post a Comment