Sunday, April 14, 2013

April is the Cruelest Month After All


Where am I? Who am I? (I know. A bit early in the series’ timeline to be going to the amnesia well. Amnesia and traumatic blindness along with that episode set in the 30s is generally something you save for season 4 or 5 when you’re out of ideas and what you’d really like to do is end the main characters’ narratives in a hail of bullets or meteors or thousands of shards of broken glass, whichever makes the most sense in the context of the show’s basic premise. Still. I’m going there.) Sorry I haven’t written lately. I had amnesia. Sadly, I am now cured. I say sadly because when I had amnesia there was a chance I was a total badass. Statistically, you have to figure total badasses stand a much better chance of getting conked on the head than a middle manager working in the IT department of a major insurance company. Conk on the head being one of the leading causes of amnesia and all. So, not a badass as it turns out. Thanks for asking…



Well, surgery on Rob Gronkowski’s puss-filled arm is on the back burner. No further details as the Patriots and Gronkowski – no surprise – have gone dark. Let me just say that if Gronk has to miss five games this year I’d rather it was the first five than the last five. Gronk, Aaron Hernandez and Danny Amendola are the Patriots first best options in the passing game and all three of them are considered antonyms for “durable.” Let’s throw Julian Edelman in there, too. He’s hardly 100% factory parts at this point.
 
So, we can safely assume that some games will be lost to injury in 2013 by Gronk, Hernandez, Amendola and Edelman. Let’s just hope none of them are of the season-ending variety. Let’s also hope they all happen before Thanksgiving. Is that asking too much? Doesn’t football deserve a healthy Brady/Gronkowski combo in the playoffs? Don’t you want to see that? I don’t just mean Patriots’ fans. I mean football fans in general. You’ve got to want to see the best do their thing. Come on!  Who’s with me?

For the moment, my glass is half full. Gronk, Hernandez, Amendola and Edelman will all play 14+ games and be healthy (90% or better) heading into the playoffs. As they turn the corner from October to November nobody but Jim Nantz will be talking about Wes Welker. A healthy (I’m looking at you Sebastian Vollmer) offensive line will spring Ridley and Vereen for 1800+ yards combined. Nate Solder will garner pro bowl consideration protecting Brady’s blind side. The addition of Adrian Wilson on defense will steady the youngsters and add some thump. Aqib Talib will play like it’s a contract year (because it is). Alfonzo Dennard will play like a man who just got out of prison (because he did). Tommy Kelly will help Vince Wilfork fresh and effective. Chandler Jones and Dont’a Hightower will make the second year jump. Brady will be Brady.

If they get Emmanuel Sanders and hit on two draft picks that make the 2013 roster, the Patriots should be positioned for another run for the Lombardi Trophy.

Shh!

Don’t harsh my buzz. I’m recovering from a pretty significant concussion, after all.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment