Sunday, February 10, 2013

Hit List


What were the best songs of 2012? No, stop, I wasn't really asking for your opinion. This is my blog and it’s my list. It was a rhetorical question. A literary artifice, if you will. You won't? Okay. Sorry for the confusion. Anyway, I spend a fair amount of time listening to classic rock while driving to and from work but I will resist the impulse to include Rick Springfield’s “Jesse’s Girl” on
...

Mike’s Top 10+ Songs of 2012…
1)         Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You), Kelly Clarkson – Okay, so you say it sounds like her other big hits. To which I say that’s a bad thing? Terrific sing-a-long song when you’re driving in the car. Crank it up. Important Safety Note: Do not try to hit those high notes.  
2)         Madness, Muse – The best British band since Queen doing their thing. I love the way this song builds. I need to love…
3)         We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, Taylor Swift – I thought her performance of this song at the MTV Music Video Awards was a knockout. This is just a great pop song with terrific, hooky lyrics. Nobody sounds happier breaking up with her boyfriend than Swift. I don’t know who she’s seeing right now but I hope she dumps him soon. I haven’t liked anything she’s done since “Love Story” as much as “Never Ever.” More, please.
4)         Ho Hey, The Lumineers – I shouldn’t like this band. I mean, dude, what is with that pork pie hat? But I love this song. I almost went to see “Silver Linings Playbook” because they used this song in the TV ad campaign.
5)         Lonely Boy, The Black Keys – Irresistible, propulsive, danceable rock and roll music.
6)         Don’t You Worry Child, Swedish House Mafia feat. John Martin – If you’re feeling sad, play this song. See, heaven’s got a plan for you… And it involves dancing your blues away.
7)         Payphone, Maroon 5 – The masters of the brainworm song bring it one more time. I liked Payphone way better than “Moves Like Jagger” which was stuck in my head for eleven straight days. How good is this song? Payphones are like so twenty years ago and still this song is irresistible.
8)         Rumor Has It, Adelle – This song could’ve been a hit for Aretha Franklin that Adelle was covering – terrifically – forty years after it first hit the Billboard Top 10. Breaking up with Taylor Swift sounds like it might be fun. If you’re breaking up with Adelle I’d be careful where you park your car.
9)         Call Me Maybe, Carly Rae Jepsen – Yeah. I can’t deny it. Before you came into my life I missed you so bad, I missed you so so bad
10)       Somebody That I Used to Know, Gotye feat. Kimbra – Love it when Kimbra sails in. Now and then I think of all the times you screwed me over… Would definitely win the Grammy for Best Male Break Up Song, Duo or Group.
11)       One Thing, One Direction – They’re just so cute.
12)       Some Nights, Fun. – Misses the Top 10 because I hated “We Are Young” and I still have no idea what the video for this song is supposed to mean. Love the harmonies.
13)       I Will Wait, Mumford & Sons – Because they have a banjo.

Starting my 2013 list...


No comments:

Post a Comment