Sunday, July 22, 2012

Commercials Brainwash

Okay, it's been a while. Between tapdancing for the man (day job) and wrestling with my laptop (if there's a computer version of narcolepsy, my machine apparently has it) I haven't been very productive in a right-brain sense lately. Enter my beloved daughter Rachael with some fresh content...

It is 2012and I am twenty-one years old. This will be the first time I will be able to vote for who I think should be running the country and be a part of the government. And up until a little while ago I have to say that there was onlyone person that had my complete confidence. Sadly I have to tell that now I am not so impressed.





I was informed by my brother about a week ago that the real debate and information doesn’t happen until the actual debates that occur in September or something like that. Until then the candidates are pretty much free and clear to sling slurs and hate filled commercials at each other while still remaining fresh and proper when the cameras roll live. It’s ridiculous.

Now you mat think that my previous two sentences are due to exaggeration and my youth and you may be right. But that doesn’t make me wrong either. But I digress into strange paradoxical terminology so let’s get back to my point.

Political ads and the news shows flood the general public with information that while easily checkable can be confusing with so many different viewpoints. Many would call it lazy to just believe what the media tells us without checking for yourself. But trying to write research papers and get all the facts right is hard enough to comprehend. It boggles the mind to think about comprehending the strategic workings of politicians and their teams. The news shows and talks on TV don’t bother me nearly as much as the commercials produced by both parties. Those never fail to leave a foul taste in my mouth.

We’re all supposed to be adults here, right?

Most, if not all people I know were taught that if you can’t saysomething nice then don’t say anything at all. What happened to this? The heads of the advertising teams for both parties point fingers and sneer at the flaws and mistakes of the other parties. What is this, second grade? *Sigh* One of my best friends in high school was our class president for all four years of high school. When we held the election for our senior year one of the more popular guys in our class decided he would run against her. Rather than simply stating what he would do differently or what he wanted to bring to our senior year he pointed fingers at her, saying what she had done wrong the past three years and how all the decisions had been made without consulting anyone. Class meetings were open to the whole class and were at a time when everyone knew it, but no one showed up so of course the decisions were made without them. Anyway the “debate”or rather the speeches before the vote is held rolled around and he got up and spouted off all the same information. When she got up on the stage she didn’t play that game, instead she talked about her plans for our senior year, rebutted a few of the things that he had brought and then thanked everyone and left the stage. When the results were announced later on she won and was gracious. After school we were looking for him so that she could just say you know, nice job and all that. We found out he’d gone home as soon as the results were revealed. He didn’t come to school the next day either.

Need I say more?
- Rachael Smith

1 comment:

  1. This will help:
    http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/in-hindsight-maybe-we-shouldnt-have-let-lord-voldemort-start-his-own-super-pac

    Steve

    ReplyDelete