Sunday, April 30, 2023

Post-Coital Pigskins

The 2023 NFL Draft is complete.


Was it good for you?


Time to light one up as we put the draft behind us now and move onto the draft autopsy. I mean, analysis. Nobody in the 2023 draft is a bust. Yet.


New England entered the draft with serviceable options across the roster, but definite needs to improve at CB, OT, WR, and Edge. 


So, how did my pigskin heroes do?


1-17: CB Christian Gonzalez, Oregon


It really can't get much better than this. Belichick trades down from 14 to 17, picks up a 4th rounder, and still winds up with one of the three best cornerbacks in the draft. Gonzalez is 6' 1", excels in press-man coverage (a staple of the Patriots' defense), and ran a sub-4.4 forty. Welcome to Gonzo Island!


2-46: DL Keion White, Georgia Tech


Yes, I wanted an offensive tackle here and Dawand Jones (a mock favorite for me with this pick) was still on the board. To be fair, it appears I am not quite the NFL talent evaluator I think I am, as the next OT off the board was Tyler Steen from Alabama (the Eagles at 65, and yeah, seems like a bit of a reach sitting at 46). 


White is a freak athlete for his immense size and still has a way to go before he touches his ceiling. Edge is a sneaky need for the Pats given Matt Judon's age and Josh Uche's contract status and as I looked at the players taken after White, I think Belichick may have nailed this from both value and upside perspectives. 


3-76: S/LB Marte Mapu, Sacramento State


Sacramento State? That's not a made up college from an R-rated comedy? 


Remember when Bill used to make this pick in the second round? That safety nobody had heard of and momentarily disturbed Mel Kiper's hair? Good times! Again, I'm thinking offensive tackle or wide receiver (I was able to take WR A.T. Perry from Wake Forest here in several mock drafts) but Bill gonna Bill. And after he found Kyle Dugger a few years back, who am I to quibble with this pick? 


Okay, I'm going to quibble. OT Dawand Jones is still on the board! TE Tucker Kraft (who I like more than I should was taken at 78), WR Josh Downs (who I don't like as much as local pigskin pundits and bobbleheads seem to was taken at 79), and RB Devin Achane (who reminded me a bit of Deion Lewis/Danny Woodhead was taken at 84 - by the Dolphins!) all drafted in the next 10; hardly a reach. Having said all of that, I first heard Mapu's name connected to the Patriots about a week ago. Could Bill have gotten Mapu on Day 3? Maybe, but I thought it noteworthy (H/T Mike Reiss) that Mapu had visits with 15 teams. He was hardly flying under the radar and that might have played a factor in Belichick pulling the trigger in round 3. Mapu showed he could step up in class at the Senior Bowl and clearly impressed Patriots coaches, who still know more about football than I do, so… Welcome to Foxborough Marte Mapu!


4-107: C Jake Andrews, Troy


Do I know who this guy is? I do not. The Patriots had him in for one of their 30 official pre-draft visits, so, apparently they not only know who he is, but they like him quite a bit. David Andrews is closer to the end of his career than the beginning and at the very least in 2023 I'd like to find a better backup than James Ferentz. 


Plus his name is Jake! 


Yes, my mock draft favorite WR A.T. Perry is still available at this point in the draft.


4-112: PK Chad Ryland, Maryland


Too early for a kicker? They do still call it football, and, misquoting Animal House, "that foot is Chad Ryland." I do love me some Nick Folk Hero but Ryland provides what the chicks dig and what Folk does not: The long ball. It will be a very good thing if Ryland beats out Folk for that roster spot.


Ryland was a late round mock favorite of mine (Patriots definitely need to get better on special teams) when Michigan's Jake Moody was off the board.


4-117: OG Sidy Sow, Eastern Michigan


I'd seen Sow listed as an OT in some mocks but the highlights I saw on Sunday showed him exclusively at left guard. Sow is fairly athletic given his immense size (6' 5", 323 pounds) and plays like the guy across the line of scrimmage said something bad about his sister. Would that athleticism and attitude allow Sow to slide out to tackle in a pinch? Or do the Patriots like their OT tackle depth better than the pigskin cognoscenti? 


While the Patriots do have solid starters at guard and center for 2023, Andrews is 30 and Mike Onwenu will hit free agency in 2024. That is, if he isn't traded before opening day…


5-144, OG Antonio Mafi, UCLA


I'd been hearing that the Pats coaches loved Mafi since the Senior Bowl so this pick doesn't strike me as a big surprise. Another big dude (6'3", 338 pounds). Mafi, who plays like a kid pretending to be a road grader, isn't moving out to tackle, but he makes me feel much better about the IOL depth chart at the very least and Mafi may eventually push Cole Strange for the starting job.


Yes, A.T. Perry is still on the board. I shall speak no more of it!


6-187: WR Kayshon Boutte, LSU


I'd like to say, "Finally! A wide receiver!" Instead, I have to say, "An undersized, unathletic wide receiver with commitment issues? What could go wrong?" Still, Boutte has flashed big play potential and the upside is worth a 6th round pick. 


I'd like to mention a certain wide receiver prospect here but I promised I wouldn't.


6-192: P Bryce Baringer, Michigan State


My second favorite 6th round pick in Patriots history.


If I have to explain that I don't want to know you.


6-210, WR/PR Demario Douglas, Liberty


An even smaller wide receiver! 


Consensus of the pigskin pundits and bobbleheads is that this is a pure special teams play, targeting Douglas for his success returning punts and kickoffs in college.


6-214, CB/ST Ameer Speed, Michigan State


Was this guy on anyone's radar? Well, obviously he was on Belichick's radar. Big (6' 3", 210 pounds) and fast (4.34 forty), Speed should be a beast on special teams.


Did I mention the Pats need to get better on special teams?


6-245, CB/KR Isaiah Bolden, Jackson State


At 6' 2" and 200 pounds, with a 4.33 forty, Bolden may just be the steal of the draft for the Patriots. He excels in press-man (check) and has experience on special teams returning kicks (check). Bolden was coached in college by Deion Sanders, who was a pretty good CB/PR back in the day.


Just sayin'.

Epilogue

It's a fool's errand to read too much into the draft's results given the complexity and unpredictability of the event, not to mention the fact that none of the draftees has played a single snap of pro ball, yet, but hey, that's why I'm here!


Has Bill Belichick identified a "small school" market inefficiency? I note the picks from Sacramento State, Troy, Eastern Michigan, Liberty, and Jackson State all have high end NFL measurables. We won't know for two or three years, of course, but call me intrigued by this.


Tackles Trent Brown and Riley Reiff are solid starters but I think the Patriots are counting heavily on offensive line coach Adrian Klemm. Or maybe Andrew Stueber, Calvin Anderson, Conor McDermott, and Yodny Cajuste are as good as I now hope they are. 


This draft seems like a vote of confidence for the running backs room, and a re-commitment to the running game; no running backs selected but three IOL drafted to pave the way for Rhamondre Stevenson & Co.


It similarly feels like Belichick and his coaches feel pretty good about the WR and TE rooms, as well. A breakout year for Tyquan Thornton with a bounceback year for Mike Gesicki in 2023? It could happen.


Go Pats!


No comments:

Post a Comment