Monday, March 20, 2023

Pigskin Insanity AKA Mock Draft 2.0

What is it they say about insanity? Doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different outcome? Or is that the definition of a mock draft?


Reading Pat Lane's 7-Round mock on Pats Pulpit, I thought (a) for an GM without portfolio it was actually a damn good draft from a Patriots point of view and (b) I wondered how many of the same players could I hit on if I ran a mock today?


A summary of Pat Lane's selections (you can see his trades and justifications for his picks via the link above), with comments and a snapshot of my mock draft below it.

Pat Lane's 7-Round Mock Draft

1 (14) - Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon


Unfortunately, Gonzalez did not fall to #14 in my mock. I traded down to 16 where I was able to pick up another highly rated CB, Joey Porter, Jr. out of Penn State.


2 (56) - Darnell Washington, TE, Georgia


Washington was gone, gone, gone before we got to pick #46 so I traded down again (volume business is good business).


3 (76) - Blake Freeland, OT, BYU


With picks #63 and #76 I took offensive tackles Matthew Bergeron (Syracuse) and Freeland.


3 (88) - Karl Brooks, ED, Bowling Green


I was able to pick Brooks at #95. A steal!


4 (107) - Bryce Ford-Wheaton, WR, West Virginia


I also like Ford-Wheaton, but was able to select him with pick #183. More pigskin thievery!


4 (117) - Ronnie Hickman, S, Ohio State


Check the box at pick #123. I think the post-McCourty Pats are okay at safety but a little depth couldn't hurt.


4 (135) - Michael Turk, P, Oklahoma


I've been partial to Ethan Evans (Wingate) when I've taken a punter. I just wonder how much longer Nick Folk will play and took K Jake Moody (Michigan) at #218. Already wishing I'd taken the punter.


5 (153) - Moro Ojomo, DI, Texas


A mid-round favorite of mine, as well, at #135 in my mock. 


6 (187) - Keaton Mitchell, RB, Eastern Carolina


I didn't take a running back in my mock but when I have in the later rounds I've been partial to Eric Gray (Oklahoma).


6 (210) - Ricky Stromberg, C, Arkansas


Agree with Lane that we need to start thinking about life after David Andrews. Check that box at #209.


7 (245) - Ben VanSumeren, LB, Michigan State


Had not heard anything about this guy until Lane's mock; definitely intriguing. Easy pickings at #216.


The rest…


Go Mock Pats!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment